Anyone growing iris from seeds?

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

IDoes anyone know how to do this, or anything about it? I'm not very good with seeds and usually end of killing them, but thought I might give this a try. Has anyone else tried it before ?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi betterbloom,

I have been growing Tall Bearded irises from seeds for almost 10 years now, and am trying my hand at growing Louisianas from seed too,,,,,, so maybe I can help.

This is the instructions I use for growing irises from seed (and I'm assuming it's good for all iris seeds). If I'm wrong someone correct me.

GROWING IRIS FROM SEEDS

Most people will plant the seeds during the fall/winter/early spring months.

Soak the seeds (using a pudding bowl or similar) for 24 hours up to 2 weeks. Change the water out daily using a strainer to catch the seeds. No nicking is necessary. Soaking will cause these shriveled up seeds to plum up as well as remove the inhibiting factors within the seed.

Plant them into window box planter boxes, or one gallon containers using a mixture of potting soil and Jiffy *seed* soil mix. (Or any other brand of seed soil mix/ seedling germinating mix) Apply more of the* seed soil mix* at the top of the pot.. Plant the seeds about a half inch deep. In a regular one gallon container plant no more than 20-25 seeds.

Some people will sow the seeds directly into the ground in the fall/winter, and let the natural cold of winter and nature itself wash the inhibitor factors out of the seed. And that will work too. Because some varieties of seeds will need several weeks of cooler weather outdoors to germinate, it is not advisable to plant them late spring/early summer or summer months.

** Keep the soil moist, (not wet) at all times/never drying out ~ to insure germination. If they dry out too long or often -- germination will be poor. Then you'll have to wait until the following spring to see them germinate. Some years I have 55-70% of them germinate, other years close to 90%-100% using this soaking method. Without soaking, germination the first year can be far less – like 50%. But then the second year is usually really good. Most of the seeds have the capability to germinate in years to come if they haven’t all germinated in the first 2 years.

NOTE: Iris seeds will germinate for up to 18 years. That is how they survive in the wild. So, if you want to wait & save some for next year to plant - - it ‘s not a problem with THESE seeds (If they have not dried out too much between waterings). Once planted germination of the seeds will take place in the spring of the year. (Usually anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks after planted and set outdoors).

Depending on growing conditions the seedlings (once sprouted) can BLOOM for the first time in the spring of the following year, if not then surely by the next spring. Warmer climates: usually the first spring after they have sprouted, cooler climates: usually 2 years after they have sprouted.

Good luck with your iris seeds! It should be exciting to see what you get.
~ Margie

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I plant my collected seed in the fall in 1 gallon pots of good draining potting mix and leave them out in the weather rain, snow or shine. Germination is in the spring. I leave them in the pots until late summer and then plant them in a seedling bed where it is easier to keep track of them, keep them weeded, etc. I have a couple of pots going now but I am running out of room in my gardens to plant stuff:-( If they come for me in the spring I will post pictures...

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here are a couple of links where we have discussed (within the last couple of years).....how to grow irises from seed .

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/476297/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/476039/

Edited to add 2nd link.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 6:53 PM

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks, I've briefly went over the information..and will go back over it again. But, and I know this is going to really sound stupid, but, where are the seeds?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

The seeds develop inside a 'seed pod' shortly after bloom. Some of us hand pollinate the iris flower in hopes of combining the 'right' genes to get some irises that rebloom, or with hopefully unusual markings, or outstanding form and coloring, better branching, more ruffles, and so forth.

The second link which I submitted above earlier - - has a section in it with more links that will take you to web-pages that show you what a seed pod looks like (to me it looks like a teeny tiny green watermelon) and shows you exactly how to pollinate one iris with another. Once the pod has ripened and begins to split - that is when one harvests the seeds.

If you are wanting seeds NOW (rather than wait to make your own this spring) ................possibly someone here is willing to trade or give some to you - - if anyone has any. * Another option is to check out eBay. Just type in - bearded iris seeds.

PS. Here is my photo of one of my seed pods.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I guess I'd better go back and carefully read these. I only have one bloom so it will have to be that exact color. I don't do well with seeds so I start by practicing with my own. I think by your picture I should be able to find them.
Thanks so much for the help from both of you. I'll let you know how this turns out.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Betterbloom,

Added NOTE: Seeds - even if you (or a bee) crosses it with itself won't reproduce the same plant/same looking flower. Every one of those seeds will result in a NEW (ONE OF A KIND) cultivar. You’ll be growing HYBRID iris varieties no one else has or owns. Iris plants resulting from seed will not look EXACTLY like it's parent. Some may look a little like the parent, others may retain only certain characteristics of it's parent, while yet others may turn out all together DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE bringing out recessive genes. This is how new cultivars are created.

I wish you well. Yes, let us know how it all turns out. :-)
~Margie

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

That makes it sound like even more fun, to have something no one else has. Thanks again, and I'll sure let you know how it turns out.

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just started hybridizing my bearded irises in 2006. I used Sutton's soaking/freezing method for mine and I now have lots of seedlings growing. His method brings 90% germination or better.

Sutton's method is to soak the seeds inside sections of pantyhose for 10 days changing the water daily. After the soaking cycle is completed, put them in a black plastic garbage bag and freeze them for 3 to 6 hours. He then puts the plastic garbage bag under his shed (a cool dark place) for a couple months. When about half have sprouted in the bag he said to plant them all.

I noticed that mine started sprouting after about one month. I had placed mine in the crawl space underneath my house. My suggestion though is to plant them all after you notice several have sprouted since I noticed some of mine had rotted off while I was waiting for more to germinate so I'd have the half ratio.

Plant your seeds in a mixture of 1 part vermiculite to 3 parts of potting soil. I actually dug holes and put the mixture in them, planted the seeds directly in the ground instead of in pots. It can be done this way if your winters are mild like mine are in Tennessee. The vermiculite helps regulate the moisture and keeps the sprouts from dampening off.

Best luck with your iris seeds!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I have used this method since I began to grow from seeds
and it has worked wonderfully for me

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/7679/seeds.html

Good luck and have fun
Anita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.