comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

hi,last year is the first time i grown Dahlias from seed now im hooked .I was wondering doze antone know were you can get seed for dahlias.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Ebay all the way! There's quite a lot available. My experiences with ebay plant/seed sellers have been all good with only one exception. Since it's seed, your investment is minimal. Also, enter "dahia seed" in Google and see what you get.

I was reading that certain dahila cultivars are excellent "parents" and set viable seed much better than others. I'm sure all of this info is on the Dahlia Society pages: www.dahlia.org. You could cross out your own seed!

Beware that you don't wind up buying dahlia-flowered zinnias! (Unless you want zinnias). I was just looking at the fresh seed displays (drool, drool) at the grocery store, and the picture on the front are flowers that are dead-ringers for mixed dahlias.

(I'm no expert; just a tireless researcher!!!)

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 7:30 PM

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 7:31 PM

Halifax Seeds has a couple of nice choices in Dahlia seeds. You might find some other things you like there too, and make it worth while.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

T & M has the largest selection I think.
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/search?search=dahlia

True.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Holy cow, Al! I didn't need to see that. If I start with dahlia SEEDS, I'll never see civilization again. I need a 12-step plant intervention at this point.

Did I tell everyone that I have winter-sewn 200 daylilies??? I also have 2 rows of hosta seeds planted, and about a dozen or so root divisions in nursey pots, also out in the elements (but protected). Indoors, I have clivia seeds sewn, and my plumeria seedlings are coming along. Add this to my indoor tuber collection and the fact that I have 100 more pots to sew with salvia, verbena, and rose campion, and I'm kinda over-extended and obsessed! (Does anyone want to hear about my house plants?)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Double D - what import restrictions do you have for seed?
I grew the coccinea species and giant hybrids from them last year.

Jax - daylilies are the mortal enemies of dahlia, the sqaut on there growing areas and never leave :0)

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 8:09 PM

I was going to mention T&M too, but thought that the shipping charges would be a lot more than the Canadian vendor, but It really isn't that much more, especially considering the other choices there. We have no problem ordering seeds from the states.
Robert, they have Salvia patens there too. (blue angel) Look at that price for 15 seeds. Off I go to the fridge to see how many I have.

echoes

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Geez, Jax, you do have a plant addiction problem, LOL
Can't imagine having that many plants to put outside soon!!!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Daisey, I don't have the plants; I potted up seed and put plastic over them outdoors. The theory of winter sowing is that the seed will germinate in spring.

Al, dalilies don't need as much sun as dahlias, so they are companions to my zillion hostas in the shade. I get sick of hostas and astilbes, hosta and ferns... they need the daylilies for interest, IMHO. Plus they squeeze out weeds, while dahlias dislike competition. IF the daylilies encroach on the dahlias, they will have to deal with a large Mattock ax that I swing with deadly force. Sorta like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"--tho' I gotta work on my flying. I actually do quite a bit of flying, but it's usually after I've fallen over a rock.

If my daylilies sprout in their pots, I will sell most of them. We have a great little farmers' market, plus an antique flea market that welcomes plant growers. Same with my hostas.

Thanks for the help.i think im going to blow the budget on the seed from T&M.
WOW what bueatfull dahlias,the singles are out of this world.

Thumbnail by digging_dirt
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have some dahlia seed stashed here somewhere -- how long does it take to get them to bloom from seed &/or when should I start the seed for a May 1 plant out date?

Suzy

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Suzy, you can start those seeds like in Feb. Just keep them warm and happy and they will grow for you. Go for it. What's a few more plants? LOL

I found for me thay grow and bloom from seed better then tubers.
Like daisy said go for it.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I only have so many lights to grow things under....dahlias or petunias?....dahlias or petunias?....dahlias or petunias?....dahlias or petunias?....dahlias or petunias?....

hahahah Like I don't know the answer I'll get here!

Suzy

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Petunias? What are those? ;-)
I refuse to start from seed any annual thet you can get for $1 a flat at HD. Let them do the work; I don't have the space. My one exception would be an unusual coleus. I like them b/c they add color to shade all year- I like my plants to work hard. I'm thinking of tossing the Forsythia; weedy growth in winter, plain green in summer, overgrowth (and invasive tendancies) in Fall, and for what? A splash of yellow in spring?
Sorry, off-topic...

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted some cactus dahlia about a week ago under lights, and they sprouted super quick. They are about an inch tall already. Yes, I know it is way too soon, but I didn't really expect them to sprout so quickly. And well, I just couldn't wait any longer! I needed to see something growing.

-- confessions of a gardener in january

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Don't think I haven't wondered a thousand times: "Why store these tubers when I could just pot them up?" I have a feeling that the growth would be weak and spindly. When spring comes around, they may go into shock and die back, and I'll be at square 1 again. But just maybe...
I TOTALLY understand the need to "just have something growing"- hence all the clivia and plumeria seed I've started.

I'm thinking I will put tubers out in the garden earlier than our zone recommends (mid-April?), and just heap 'em with mulch. Hopefully, I'll have blooms earlier; we have such a short gardening season as it is. Then again, maybe I should just stop thinking!!!

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Jax, I'm just a dahlia novice, but I did start mine in pots a few weeks before putting them outside. It helped me see which tubers were good so I didn't plant the ones that weren't going to turn into plants. And I think they bloomed earlier. They grew great under shop lights without any special bulbs.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jax you are like a little racehorse chomping at the bit! But I urge you to go to pasture for a few more weeks and then start by potting up as JBuresh said. It's a surefire way to heartache to plant a tuber in damp, cold ground. They don't start early at those temps (soil temp of 50-60 is recommended) but just sit and sulk and often rot. I'm the master of impatient planting and have lost many, many tubers because of my own stupidity. Sure hope I don't repeat history this year LOL.

If you do have pots, start them up and then you'll know which will grow. I was able to even de-pot and transplant several dahlias into the garden last year when they were fairly tall. I can't remember why though! Those in pots grew equally well to the garden ones.

If you want to start them early, maybe you could try taking cuttings: more plants for you and you still have the main tuber you started with in the first place. I had good success with this last year until the blasted cats ate 3/4 of the new little plants when I took them upstairs for more light.
http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Propagation/Cuttings.htm

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Pooch, waaahhh!!! I have to WAIT???

I read about the cuttings. Sheesh! Dahlias sound too good to be true. My kitten, Jax, would eat them, too, if your cat did.

I have 6 shop lights in my basement, next to my pottery equipment. I keep plants there, and try to make pottery; guess what is winning?

I may JUST WAIT until late April/May and fill some plastic tubs with damp soil and tubers, and see what happens. I even have some of those heat pads. Memorial Day is our traditional planting weekend around here, but with global warming, I may have palm trees sprouting.

In order to put on the Spring Planting brakes, I just started tanning, got a (blonde) haircut, pedicure, and sent my resume to a temp agency. I think I should get out of the cellar. If I don't get a job, I should think of the joys of Mayfly season, then mosquitoes, plus gardening backaches...

what do you all think about the single dahlias

This message was edited Jan 23, 2007 1:15 AM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like singles, they turn out the most consistent from seeds available.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Now, Al, that is a pretty single dahlia. Most of them I do not care for but that one is a good one.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

That is like a collection of rays of sunshine, very pretty.

edited because of poor grammar....

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 5:04 PM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

thanks, that's a coccinea species one from T & M. I harvested how you say 'buttload' of tubers off them.

nice one big,i kind of like the singles myself

Greenwich, OH

I ordered the harlequin dahlia from Parks.I am definitely going to grow this one this year.

oh i wish i could order from parks,thay have some great plants

has anyone tryed to grow dahlias from cuttings,if so how is it done.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It can be done, I did some last year to see if I could do it. We should get something in the sticky on it this year. Anyway you need to take the cuttings from the shoots that come off the tuber. 4-6 leaf stage I think is a good height. They are then dipped in rooting hormone and put in typical medium( I used vermiculite) coarse sand or others work. Then keep moist and wait. Most tubers will only have 4-6 shoots to use before they are out. Although I had this one - Jeannie Leroux that I cut probably 2 shoots a week off all summer.

kool im going to have to try that with mine.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

This might help.

http://www.scdahlias.org/howto/cuttings.html

The success rate is not 100%, especially at first. One thing that works for me is to place a clear plastic-type glass over the cutting to hold in the humidity. Don't forget to remove it every once in a while, say, overnight. My experience is that it takes a long time for the roots to grow, but I am not growing in a greenhouse, just on the window sill. I prefer vermiculite as a rooting medium but can't always find it. Perlite being second choice. My plants from cuttings have produced tubers every year.
Another thing I have done differently than in the above link, is to place the tubers in a BARELY damp baggie of soil (1/2 cup ? or so) instead of a pot/bin. I just don't have the room for a mess of pots. One tuber to a baggie. Then when the tuber has produced a shoot, I cut and place in the rooting medium. Label, label, label. You are not going to remember what is what.
Have fun, everything to gain, nothing to lose and one learns in the experience. And keep the cats away.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.