HOW TALL does a Jersey Giant get???

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

HOW TALL does a Jersey Giant get??? I saw a picture of a man holding a Jersey Giant but all the photo showed was the JG's feet in the man's hand. Oh my stars, the JG's feet were almost as large as the man's hand!! From that, I'm assuming that JGs get about the size of a 2nd grader??? ....I can see my little grandsons trying to ride a JG like adults ride an ostrich!
Is it safe to assume that JGs give JUMBO eggs??? Are their eggs white or brown???

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I'm glad you asked those questions. I'd like to know too.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh gosh!
My JG's are not that big!
I have 10 (now 9) black JG and they are about 16" high.
Not much bigger than any of my other chickens.

their eggs are nothing special either. I think my
white chickens lay bigger eggs. I have some cornish
x's that escaped the meat butchering day, and now
are paying us back by laying lots of eggs. I think they
are so scared, that they will lay eggs till kingdom comes! LOL

this is a picture of the mix of girls in their new hen house,
you can see the Dominiques (black and white) and JG,
maybe a white chicken too.

The white Jersey Giants, I don't know about them. I don't
know if they lay white or brown eggs. The black JG lay
brown eggs.

Did you guys know that range reared eggs are lower in
cholesterol, and bad stuff, and higher in omega 3-s.
there is an article in this months mother earth news, i have
to read it more, and also, you can submit your eggs for
testing to verify the contents too!!!
Regards,
sheri

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Jersey Giants(and other breeds) from hatcheries , are always different from exhibition size birds
The ones I've seen in shows are truely giants
They barely fit in cages
in the Standard it calls for the males to weigh at least 13, hens 10
(compare to a Rhode Island Red where it calls for 8 1/2 and 6 1/2)

and one thing I didn't know till I looked them up
they must have yellow bottoms on their feet or they are disqualified
(same as my Sumatras)
learn something every day......

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

where do i get some exhibition size jersey giants and
some nice dominiques too?
also, some runner ducks. my DH wants runner ducks bad.
sheri

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

go to a good quality show.....
Let me get the poultry press out
there might be an ad in there.....

speaking of which
if anyone is really interested in exhibition poultry I sugest you suscribe to the poultry press
Its a newspaper that comes out once a month
Januarys issue was 92 pages
has show news
ads from breeders
articles on certian breeds
articles written by newbies and experts

just google poultry press........

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

They get maybe a half size larger than some of your bigger chickens, but not turkey sized or anything like that. I have 8, and although they are physically larger, they're not huge by any means. I read somewhere that they take up to two years to reach maximum growth, so I'm still waiting to see how much larger my oldest roo will get. I don't anticipate him getting any taller, but maybe gaining more weight. I do know the reason they never really caught on as a commercial roasting bird is that for the first six months they put all their growth into their bones and don't start putting on muscle until afterwards. I found out by then they're really a chore to butcher out, and they don't have as much meat on them as you'd want at six months, so you'd probably have to wait longer to get a good amount of muscle on them for eating. They're also not that great of layers compared to other breeds.

Egg color: All colors of Jersey Giants lay brown eggs. The color will vary between light and really dark. My blue hen lays the darkest egg.

I also have Black Jersey Giants and we prepared the rooster for supper at 7 months of age. He was an easy cleaning experience and I made 3-9 inch pot pies and an 8 quart stock pot of soup that truly had more meat in it than noodles or veggies. He was LARGE. (and chased me with ill intent every time I collected eggs) My girls are 1 year old and I'd classify the eggs as large to medium. Some girls lay bigger than others. I am still wondering if the eggs will become larger in their second year of life. I'll get back to you.

Thumbnail by 4pattysue Thumbnail by 4pattysue Thumbnail by 4pattysue Thumbnail by 4pattysue Thumbnail by 4pattysue
Richmond, TX

I have Jersey Giants from a breeder ( Maria's Jersey Giants) and the hens are about 18" tall and probably weigh 10 - 12 lbs. They are big girls who lay larger than average, medium brown eggs - usually 2 per week. They are also calm and easy to handle.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Love all the pics, everyone!! Thanks for your replies! Our daughter ordered chicks, which included 3 JGs and after seeing the pic I mentioned, I was afraid we'd need to buy saddles for them!! ;) lol

We love chickens, but rather not be face-to-face with them when we're standing up! ;)
(((sigh of relief!)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.