Purchased two Australian tree ferns - Cyathea cooperi

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Technically they are both Australian tree fern- Cyathea cooperi 'Brentwood' which I've read are fast growers (exactly what we want). Originally I wanted to go with a more native Hawaiian (Hapu'u) fern, but they are very slow growers from what I've read (3.5 inches a year max). I saw a few Hapu'u on eBay, but I suspect they are really the invasive Australian fern that are just labeled as the Hapu'u.

In any event, I'm excited to finally start growing some ferns in my well established Hawaii (and tropical) collection of plants. I was wondering if there are any basic tips I need to know about these ferns? I know they like to stay moist in well drained soil and like humidity. What kinds of fertilizer will work best? If I repot the ferns, do I need to weigh down the bottom (risk of turnover?).

They will be potted and kept indoors from late November until mid-March. I'll keep them in partial shade outdoors the rest of the year.

Thanks for any tips and advice.

John

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

John, the trunk of the Australian tree fern is actually composed of roots and MUST be kept moist if the plant is to prosper. I bought a small plant in a 4" pot in 2001 and by 2005 I had to leave it out in the cold because it was too big to bring inside anymore. But it was great while it lasted!
The higher the humidity, the happier this plant will be.
On the left side of this picture you can see the tree fern and get an idea of it's size. Sadly, these were all plants I was giving away because they got too large. Somewhere I have a better picture, but no time to look for it right now.
good luck with yours,
Susan

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the post. I have read several sites informing me of what you just did, about watering the trunk. I'll make sure to do that. I've also put a humidifier in the room with all the plants now, so that should help with humidity this time of year. In the summer, it'll be more than fine outdoors I think.

Nice set of plants you have there. Is that a basjoo banana to the right of the fern?

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Guess not, I planted it in the ground, mulched it heavily and it froze to death anyway. Someone gave it to me as a teensy pup and they did not know the cultivar. It got pretty large and I grew tired of lugging the pot around, so that is why I took a chance and planted it outside. I would like to get a hardy one next time.

As for fertilizing the tree fern, I just gave it whatever everything else was getting at the time. (Usually 20-30-20 mixed at 1/4 strength, every watering)
No problem getting it to grow!
I would like a Tasmanian tree fern next time because it stays shorter.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

So I guess I have about 4 years (maybe less) until it'll be too big for indoors. Do you know if there is a easy way to propagate the ferns? I always like to make sure I keep part of the plant alive if I have to let the main part die back.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

As far as I know, spores or tissue culture are the only ways to propagate a tree fern.

You might have more than 4 years to keep it...mine was about 7 feet tall, but 8 feet across. The width is what really did me in. Each frond was like 5 or 6 feet long.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Plant files says it is hardy in 8a... so I am thinking I am going to try one outside -- anyone else tried it this far into zone8? I am thinking with some winter protection maybe??

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

That'd be great if you can, but I'm hesitant to get my hopes up at this point.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Well I have several heading this way... and a shady southern wall... just might try it with one and see what happens.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll look forward to seeing what happens. You going to try and plant any this current winter, or put them in the soil come spring?

I've become more tempted myself to put more of my tropicals out to see how they fare, but until I have more than one of each, I'm cautious to try it.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have duranta, hibiscus, and a lemon tree all out in the weather... oh and several aloes... all so far so good... but I keep cuttings just in case.. I keep my brugs out there too - mulch well and let them come back or not. I just keep a cutting. So I am a little of a garden risk taker.. going to try plumbago this year too.. just want to see if both of them can make it.

I will try to keep you posted.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

John, one of the secrets to keeping any tree fern from getting too large is to not over feed it . If you keep it well watered, but, only feed very lightly when it looks like it is getting too yellow. Keeping it in small pot (the bonsai effect) will keep it small. Keeping a small amount of water in the pot tray that it sits in helps keep it healthy, it will use/need more water under those conditions. Try and water with rain water, RO water, or distilled water - keeps the white crust from developing on the pot and plants do benefit. Also, once a month, or more, take it into the shower and give it a lukewarm misting during the winter months. Aussie tree ferns will take only light frost (28*) for a couple hours, more than that and the lose the leaves, that would be a big set back. Temps below 25* will kill the trunk.

Mitch, I lived in Austin (zone 8b) for many years and had a plumbago in the front yard, the blue kind. It would freeze back to the ground every year and pop back up in the spring, late-it likes warm weather. It makes a good front or mid border plant in an English style perennial border and you can plant spring bulbs under and around it, the drying bulb foliage will be hidden when the plumbago comes up. I used Muscari, mixed blues and white. Muscari are one of the best perennial bulbs for the mid-south, they will forever, flower every year and muliply like bunnies :-)!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.