Bibb lettuce indoors?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Can I grow Bibb lettuce indoors under florescent lights? (there are 4 bulbs--40 watts each--2 are cool white [the number is 3500], two are neutral [the number is 6000] Thanks, Tamara

Carroll, NE

yes, you might want to get a plant bulb. 40w plant bulbs cost around $6 each, and they are better, but not necessary. the lights should be 5- 16 inches above the plants. i think around 16 hours of light per day. if i win the powerball i am going to get a huge green house or three, then the snow won't bother me.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I'd get with my lotto winnings as well! That, and about 5 acres of land. ;-) Thanks for the info, Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I grow Leaf Lettuce and Pak Choi in my East-facing windows year-round with no lights, and they do quite well. I've never tried Bibb - indoor or out. I hope it does well for you!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I hope it does well too, because I love it but never buy it in the stores. It's too expensive for such a small amount. If mine grows well, I'll keep growing it all year! I'm off to a good start--I got 100% germination! Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Good job...and good luck!

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

We grow on our closed in porch with windows on 3 sides. It goes down to about 45% at night and 65% during the day. My husband swiped a few of my flower boxes and grows lettuce, kale and spinach. Keeps him happy and something to do in the winter.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

My wife bought one of those for a dinner one night. It already had the roots in the package. She used most of the lettuce so for kicks I planted it in a wine barrel. It grew back and went to seed. Now I have plenty of seed and have a bunch sprouting right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.