Amaryllis 'San Remo'

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I ordered 'San Remo' and 'Charisma' and got two 'San Remo' and no 'Charisma.' But they're both lovely right now. I also have 'Royal Velvet' in bloom and I'm trying my hand at cross-pollinating the two. I've never done this before, so we'll see what happens! I've nothing to lose by trying!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view. The stalk on one of them is VERY tall. 28 inches from the top of the bulb to the beginning of the flower buds! At that heighth, it makes a great floor plant!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Mobile, AL

Oh! That is so, so, so BEAUTIFUL!

I just had a thought! Wouldn't it be awful if my Charisma turned out to be Charisma and my San Remos turns out to be Charisma?

LAS! I suppose I'll take what I get, but that was is LOVELY!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, we could trade! LOL!!

Mobile, AL

True!!!!! And I would!!!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, if that happens, then you've got a deal! :-)

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

That's pretty!!!

I love those "dots". Reminds me of an oriental lily. And in the thumb, the stripey look reminds me of Clematis 'Nelly Moser'.

I think that's definitely a keeper!

R.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

It's pretty, but the curl on the edges kind of bugs me. Both bulbs are doing that, so it must be a trait of them.

I didn't notice it so much. Guess I was thinking it would unfurl as the blossom matured.

I don't like that trait in Nymph, for example. The bloom looks to me like it never fully opens... or is already wilting or something.........like something is wrong. I know lots of folks like blooms like that...I'm trying to.....

R.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Exactly, R.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

More pictures, taken today.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The other one, in the utility room a.k.a. 'The Jungle.'

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Detail

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes my San Remo has that same curl on the edge of the petals which I'm not sure I like. Today's the second day of them being open.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

These are longer lasting than my 'Royal Velvet.'

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Second flower stalk is beginning to bloom, and it seems to be a bit richer in color than the first blooms on this particular bulb.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Detail...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Mobile, AL

Wow! Nice!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Today...

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Very, very nice pictures all.

What a pretty thing San Remo is!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I think I'm in love. I don't usually got for the big ones but I'm sold on this one!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Your second flower stalk in the last pics actually looks like a pale version of Charisma. Whatever it is you have got a beauty there, so delicate, real class.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I thought that, too, except that it most definitely isn't red, like 'Charisma.' Thing is, I was supposed to get 'Charisma' from B&B's and I actually got two of 'San Remo.' And this bulb was the one that was labeled 'San Remo' in the first place. It was the other one that was supposed to be 'Charisma.' And I didn't pot them up at the same time, so there's no way I got them mixed up when potting them.

It's funny it should turn out that way, I wonder if the flowers would be redder in different light, or when the bulb grows again. It definitely has the form, the lower paler petals with that dividing line.

http://www.royalcolors.com/index.php?orderitem_id=354111&nav=item_detail&path=items

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, it does have the form, but it's definitely not even close to the color. I think it's weird how different the second flower stalk looks from the first.

Again, here is the bloom from the first flower stalk of that same bulb. I flip-flopped the location of the two bulbs. One was in the utility room and one on the window sill. When the one on the window sill was done, I moved the taller one from the utility room to the window sill. Its first bloom was also done, so I wanted the one in bloom to be in the room where we spend most of our time. (And thankfully, that ISN'T the utility room. LOL)

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Mobile, AL

There is no mistaking Charisma! Charisma is what I would call a "gaudy" (did i spell that right) reddish with a very dark pink tinge.

I bought a Charisma and a San Remos from the same batch from B&B at the 50% off price.

I am still waiting for my blooms and will report.

I have seen the real Charisma, so I will know the difference, I hope. I have a friend who bought a Charisma from B&B and her pics look more like San Remos.

Go figure! All of this just adds to the confusion, doesn't it?

Perhaps it got confused with flip flopping, it's a good job you have a utility room! I wonder if it's showing traits from one of the parents, I haven't heard of it happening with Hipps but it does happen in other flowers.

Mobile, AL

Janet,

We are currently having a 'REAL' problem in the United States with bulbs being shipped wholesale to suppliers that do not match the name of the bulb.

This is not only a problem with hippi's, it is also a problem with Daylilies, and the problem seems to be getting worse. It is affecting the good suppliers like B&B as well as John Scheepers.

It seems to me like the problem is with the wholesale suppliers, but if we don't catch and identify the problem and complain, nothing will ever be done.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 5:35 PM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 5:36 PM

Hmm, sounds like all the Irises I got from reputable catalogues, not one was correct even with a replacement from T&M. Last lot I tried from a supermarket, one was even exclusive to them. Guess what, none were correct!

Mobile, AL

EXACTLY!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

More reason to grow species bulbs from seeds of your own parent plants--LOL

Thought I'd take that opportunity to push us along further down the road in our addiction. =)

As if we needed a push...

We need no pushing, but we may end up pulling a few with us!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

And I'm real disappointed in B&B's because I was told by an employee of theirs, who D-mailed me last weekend, that he would contact me on Monday when he got back in the office. It's now been a week and I've not heard a word. I d-mailed him again, and got no response. I expected better from them.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know 2 or 3 that are now going down that slippery slope with us Janet....
=)

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

One thing I really love about amaryllis is how almost translucent they get as the flowers age. Here's my San Remo today..

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Mobile, AL

My San Remos is starting to open and actually looks like the real thing.

It has a wonderful spray of dark pink dots. I like it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.