Stellar's Jays

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

These guys are really difficult to photograph because they are so dark, but I got a few. Unfortunately, he looks a little washed out - colors are deeper.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Another

Thumbnail by Murmur

And one more

Thumbnail by Murmur
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

just beautiful. have heard of them but never seen one

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful!! Thanks for posting these Murmur, their a great looking bird! Is their call abrasive like the Blue Jays?

Yes indeed, Pelletory, their call is enough to wake the dead!!

Hebron, KY

Murmur,

Beautiful Jay!

Thanks for sharing!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Nice pics!

Spellcheck: Steller's Jay (named after Georg Wilhelm Steller, 1709-1746)

Resin

Gosh - thanks, Resin!!! I've been spelling that wrong all over the place. I knew the bird had been named after someone, but didn't know the man had died so young.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I never, ever looked up the spelling for this bird. I have a friend that calls me Stellar Jay so I always thought that's how it was spelled, lol. I was lucky with the light today. These are taken through the window but I was still pretty happy with them. You're right Murmur, they're not so easy because of their darkness.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Another

Ridgefield, WA

Murmur! That first one with the branch to the right is my favorite. You've captured a very serene quality. Love love love the color pallet. Bravo!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics Stell!!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Great pics, all! We don't get to enjoy these birds here.

Ridgefield, WA

Stellapathic, those are magnificent photographs also! I didn't have a chance to look at them before. Very very nice "gallery" of this jay ....

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Superb cobalt color on a bird, Murmur & Stella great shots!

I was curious about the song too, this was handy>

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Stellers_Jay.html#sound

This message was edited Jan 20, 2007 6:57 PM

Marlton, NJ

I don't know why but their sounds have never worked for me.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, what a handsome bird! Great pictures too!
Do these birds have the same bad reputation as the scrub jays?
My neighbours try to scare the scrubjays away... I invite them to my garden. I have so many birdfeeders with different kinds of seed, there's a dish for every size and kind of bird.

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry pelle... I think ya have to have real player to hear those..

Here is one for RealPlayer10, it's Free>
http://www.download.com/RealPlayer/3000-2139_4-10255189.html

Stella, those are the best Steller's Jay photos I have ever seen - good job!!!!!!!

Don't you just love their feet??!!

Christi, I would invite the gorgeous Scrub Jay to my yard given the chance also - nice photo!

Thanks to all of you for the interest and the nice words!

Hebron, KY

Great pics everyone!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Great captures all! Haven't seen any jays 'round here, (yet)...

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Boy do we have scrub jays! And, yes, they all have a similar personality. The only thing they seem to be afraid of are the woodpeckers. They definitely stay clear of those brutal strong beaks. The scrub jays are the ones that mess with my yard. They grab a peanut, hurry bury it somewhere close so they can go grab another. Then in the morning the whole hard is torn up from them trying to remember where they hid them.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

A Steller's Jay on the "peanut stump."

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

A fledgling scrub jay who didn't quite know what to make of the seeds. This guy had no fear of me at all the first few days out of the nest. Mama kept warning him and he just flew right up to me and stared me in the eye. I'd stand up from messing with some plant and find him practically at my nose. I wish I would have had more time during this period. It would have been fun to tame him to my hand.

Marlton, NJ

Really nice pics stella!

Cotopaxi, CO

Thanks for the pictures.The Stellar is one of my favorite birds.There here year round.Thanks,squirtdog

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.