Advice on Fern for Dry Light Shade

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I have an area under a high-branched tree where I would like to put several ferns to provide a background to some short perennials. I would classify it as light shade since it does get a little afternoon sun. The soil is not good and is not moist, so I will probably have to amend it. In probable order of importance, the features I am looking for are
1. Stands light shade
2. Drought tolerant (our Z6 summers sometimes go 2 weeks without rain, often when I'm on vacation)
3. About 24 " high
4. Evergreen (if possible)
Checking plant lists, I see some possibilities but have questions about each.

Autumn Fern (is it evergreen in Z6?)
Tassel Fern (can it stand light shade?)
Ghost Fern (not evergreen-does it disappear in winter?)
Marginal Wood Fern (can it tolerate dry soil?)
Christmas Fern (can it tolerate dry soil?)
Male Fern (only semi evergreen)
Holly Fern (long-eared or Braun's) (can it tolerate dry soil?)
Hart's Tongue Fern (Leaves not "ferny", one source says likes alkaline soil, only about 18")

I am not an experienced fern grower (I do have some Japanese Painted ferns growing happily nearby), so I would appreciate any comments you have on any of these choices.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am interested in all that too except for zone 5b. And can handle very little watering from me. Once establised I don't water much.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Don,
I would recommend for overall year round beauty the Soft Shield Fern, Polystichum setiferum. My Ghost fern does disappear in the winter but is a high impact plant by lighting up a dark corner. I have never had much luck with the Christmas fern but my soil is very sandy/dry and that may be why. I took a photo of the Soft Shield fern on Jan 5th of this year although it tends to be more robust in the summer I think it holds its own during the winter as well, you can find the photo in my journal-Blueberry Byway-Front Entry Garden-Ferns. kt

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Christmas Fern and Holly fern can tolerate some dryness as long as they are shaded. Once they are established, they can handle more than a recent transplant can.

The Christmas fern grows wild here in 7b, North Carolina and survives our hot summers on its own, in shade and dappled sun. It does better, of course, in moist soils, near streams, for example. With irrigation, it can stand a good bit of sun, just beware of overdoing it to keep it looking good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.