Cedar Waxwing Photos

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

As I stated in "show me your feeders! part 2", I saw a variety of birds but my camera had dead batteries. I could not stand it. So, I have new batteries but only the Cedar Waxwings were still eating. Usually, there are not this many until March.

This was as close as they would let me get

Thumbnail by duckmother

Photo #2

Thumbnail by duckmother

Photo #3 Patiently awaiting their turn

Thumbnail by duckmother
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, but you have the ripe berries now! Tomorrow morning you will have purple sploches all over your walkway and patio! LOL!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh lucky you!!!! Look at all of them

LOL You are so right, I will have little reminders of them all over. We have ripe berries every year at this time but the CWs don't show up this early. I am not complaining, I wish that we had them year round.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm still waiting and hoping that they get to my berries before the next flock of robins come through!!! An awesome sight that ranks among the top of life's experiences, IMHO.... Send 'em down my way....
CJ

Hebron, KY

Duckmother,

Fabulous pics! What kind of tree are they eating berries on?

Thanks for sharing!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Now that's what I call a flock!!! I'd sure love to see some CW's again sometime!! Great photos.

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Duckmother!!

Thanks for the nice comments.

The trees are Glossy Privet (Ligustrum lucidum) or as I call them big weeeeds. lol I do not recommend these trees unless you don't care if a million little trees try to grow every year. Our trees are on the very back of our yard, by the creek. We have many of these flowering trees and we have lots of nesting birds each year, they are great cover, and provide food. But, they have fairly shallow roots and steal water from every other plant/tree and grow to be ginormous! ;o)) Plus, the new plants not only come from the berries but also from the roots.

There are other varieties that do not grow as big but many of these do not flower or have berries.

Kim

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Duckmother,

I just came across your post early this year about CW birds.
I too had a similar experience, about the same time.
Otherwise, I NEVER see these birds around this area.
I know they were migrating.
Here's the first shot I had of a small group around 20 birds.
They were very hard to creep up on.

Thumbnail by pford1854
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Then again the following month - in March, I had a huge group of over 100 birds.
They were so funny to watch. They would fly from yard to yard - all over the neighborhood searching for fruit. I'm not sure they found much, and left the same day.

Thumbnail by pford1854

Great photos pford! I love these birds. I hope we both get to see some more this coming year. If I do, I will try to get a photo and post it. You do the same.

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.