Amaryllis 'Royal Velvet'

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, lo and behold, this 'Royal Velvet' that I bought at Walmart actually IS what it said it was. I've not had the best of luck when buying amaryllis bulbs there and having them be accurately labeled. 'Royal Velvet' was more expensive there than the other more common ones they had this year ('Apple Blossom', 'Minerva', etc.) I think I paid $7 or $8 for this one, whereas the others are $4. It's worth it, though. The blooms are HUGE! And the color is so difficult to photograph. It's deep, deep red and truly velvety and I can't stop looking at it.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Sumptuous! I had this one a couple of years back and absolutely loved the deep rich color. As you say it is very difficult to photograph.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Oooooh, lovely!

Great pic!!

Try photographing them in a shady spot outside. Make sure to use your flash. Sometimes that dumbs down the color saturation when photographing intense reds.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I almost always photograph them in natural light when I want to get a true rendition of the color. For many flowers, the flash reflects off the moisture contained in the petals' cells and the color isn't accurate. For white ones, that can be desirable, even giving them a jewel-like quality, but for most deeply colored flowers, I'd rather see pure saturated color. Now, if I want extreme detail of characteristics and not the natural, artistic result from using no flash, I will use flash so that the details are illuminated and sharper for better inspection.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Today...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

You can see the red isn't as deep as the first picture, and that's a shame, because it really is deeper and richer. It also has a white tip to each of the tepals. I really love this one!

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Inspiring!

My Royal Velvet is only showing about 1 1/4" of bud.........really slow right now.

R.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.