Colocasia esculenta Illustris

Manns Harbor, NC

I have a Colocasia esculenta Illustris. I had planned to put it in the yard but I am getting conflicting information on whether it will survive in zone 8 on the NC coast. In any case 2 to 3 say no. So what size planter should I get for this if I have to keep it inside? It should grow to 3' to 4' in height. I have it in a 15" square planter now and it seems to be spreading out over the 15" more than it is growing - any suggestions?

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 6:44 AM

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Since no one has commented, thought I'd give you my "uneducated" opinion. I have the Illustris - and am in zone 7. It does very well here, so I am sure it will be fine in zone 8 - outside. We even had dug up the area in the winter where mine were planted 2 years ago, and when spring came, they started coming up everywhere - wherever the dirt had been shifted to. So, with that being said, unless you just wanted them in a container, I'd go on and plant them in the ground this spring.

Manns Harbor, NC

Thank you so much - I would much rather put it outside in the yard! I assume it needs a little shade and plenty of moisture?

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Serene, I grow mine in full sun - - but you are correct, it does need a lot of water to do well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.