Have you started any seeds yet (not including WS)?

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, I've been bad. Keep telling myself I will wait till Feb. But once again, here it is Jan. and I've begun.

Keeping it to the perennials though:

1. Dahlia Hawaii - was great as a cut flower. I'm just playing here, I know it is easier and faster to just divide.

2. Hibiscus Luna Red - a friend wants some Red Hibiscus. Hope this works,

3. geranium 'Moulin Rouge' - seeds from T&M

4. Geranium 'Maverick Star' - seeds from T&M

5. Veronica mixed colors - seeds from T&M

6. Delphinium 'Green twist' - seeds from T&M

7. Passiflora 'Caerules'

8. Blue Delphinium

9. Tall purple Delphinium

10. And of course Daylilies. :o)

I don't have room for lots of these, but I take them to work and people love it. They really seem to like the tomatos the best though.

Anyone else out there starting a few?

sharon

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I would like to start some daylilies but I usually never do that till March. I'm wondering if they will get to spindley. I guess you could give them a haircut. I have read of other people on Dave's doing that.

Cindy

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon,
I started this past monday, Way to many to list lol but to name a few, Aquilegia, Hibiscus, Echinacea purpurea, Alyssum, Campanula and the list goes on and on lol

Connie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have some daylily's growing in the basement since thanksgiving-they were sprouted in the bags i had them in!
But im getting ready to start more by the end of the month!

Maybe the first batch will be big enough to stick outside the end of Feb and fool them into thinking they are a yr old already!! ;)

tomatoes will have to wait to march!

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

Just finished my seed orders with Johnny's and Parks. Haven't started any yet but plan on doing so in tomorrow! Am going to try to see if I can get some of my older seeds to germinate before I replace them. But have been starting lots of cuttings. Mostly herbs: Lemon verbena,Greek oregano, Rosemaries, Origanum Kent Beauty, pineapple sage, tri-color sage, purple sage, Bergarten sage, and lots and lots of scented and fancy leaf geraniums! Don't know where I'm going to put everything once I get the seeds going! My DH bought some heating mats off ebay I can't wait to try out!

There's a woman in my area that starts all her seeds outside in the snow in little mini green houses made of milk jugs and other plastic containers. Seems to be working pretty well as she's been doing it for several years. Has anyone else tried this? I have space in a cold frame, but am hesitant to put things out there too early. It would work on perennials that self sew, but she's growing veggies that are cold sensative!
Jeane

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm heading out to get some seed starting stuff today (acually I have seed starter) what I need is potting soil for later - it is on sale today really cheap!! Wish me luck...DH has to go to load....shoulder problems..

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Just placed my order for seeds from all the catalogs . I know I purchased way to many,BUT! I have been buying the pre moistened pro mix,the bags are easier for me to handle. Hubby still puts them in the greenhouse for me.
Right now I have been painting bisque gnomes and faries,and making mirror suncatchers ,to hang in the trees in our yard.
Aleta

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Cindy, I don't find that the daylilies get spindly. Like Dori, I have started a couple in years past in Nov. and they were fine also. Just keep those lights just 2 inches above them. TG I don't start any in Nov. anymore! And never give them a 'haircut'. They need the roots and the leaves to grow.

Dori, are you talking about putting those 'thanksgiving daylilies' out in your cold beautiful greenhouse in Feb? The soonest I've put my Dl's outside in the tiny plastic greenhouse/coldframe was middle of march.

Connie, Wow, you've even started some annuals! FYI: Alyssum is a great one to winter sow.

Jeane, your neighbor is 'Winter Sowing'. I'm not sure about DG, but there is a great forum called Winter Sowing on Garden Web. I've done it before and for some plants it works great! I think perennials are great to start with WS'ing since they won't usually flower till the next year. But I have found with some annuals, the flowering takes place a couple weeks later, and in Michigan we don't want to wait for those couple weeks. :o)

Sarv, where are you getting real cheap potting soil?

Aleta, you have a greenhouse too? Oh, man, I got to get me one of those! (after the kids finish college). Be sure to post when you start sowing.

I'm really curious when others start their seeds. Most of the people I know think I'm crazy for starting so early, they don't start till April.
sharon

Algonac, MI

Yep! I started Early Girl and Orenburg giant tomatoes on Nov. 20th. They are almost ready to transplant into 5 gal. Buckets. These are beautiful plants, but small because of the colder climate which tomatoes don't need. None the less, they are coming along just fine.
In 3 weeks, I will start my artichokes.
Later!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I use to grow many veggies from seed under lights............. since I've gotten totally consumed with growing daylilies from seed, I've quit the veggie thing.

This year though, I want to start some tomatoes. I miss the heirloom tomatoes that I use to grow, nothing taste as good. I thought when we moved to the country, I'd be able to find good tasting tomatoes at the roadside stands, but they all taste the same ..... or should I say none of them have any taste.

I'm surprised that the local greenhouses don't offer many heirloom tomato starter plants either. Ocassionally you can find one if you really shop around. I hope my stash of tomato seeds still have some life in them ............ I better check soon.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

:o) toofew, I was told as long as it is a reseeder, you can winter sow it, well I will see lol. Yes Alyssum is on my list too. I am winter sowing LOTS of jugs and containers, but I have a lot of projects to fill. I have only gone thru my A thru K seeds so far, and just fixing to start seperating the L thru Z ones, Sorting them in sowing months of Jan, Feb and March. Once those are seperated then I will sort the rest to start in April and May... So far I am enjoying myself completely... But the big chore will come when it is time to plant them all rofl... DH will be my biggest help of all, I couldn't do it with out him... Nor would it have been possible for me to have the garden beds I am starting, if it wasn't for the GREAT PEOPLE here at Dave's... I know there are a few plants that I will have to purchase in the spring, but I wouldn't have been able to have gotten all the different varieties on my own :o) The best investment I ever made was joining Dave's...

I can hardly wait to see what everything is going to look like...

Connie

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

too- picked up the potting soil at a place called Fruit Basket...DH loaded 20 bags in the truck - I really only needed 12, but I won't complain!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.