Pictures of the house and garden

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi! David has brought me pictures of the house and the gardens. So this thread will be a series of pictures. This picture was taken Dec. 6. Usually you don't see all the front of the house, since the right side is screened by a large sugar maple

Cheers,
Seandor.

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of the tree folk tearing out old hemlocks before we could begin landscaping. :-)

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

This is a picture taken two summers ago - as you can see, things had changed. David put in the fencing and the arbour. We made the path with tinted concrete using a mold we bought at Lowe's. The garden is a real mess.

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is what this garden looks like today - this is the "before" picture. I hope to have a lovely picture in spring to show you - when the bulbs and perennials wake up :-) David planted bent grass between the "stones" in the pathway - I want to replace it with thyme.

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the arbor is spring. :-)

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the backyard sans the fragrance garden. This was taken early last spring.

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

This is the fragrance garden as it looks today. All the bulbs and perennials are sleeping. roses and viburnum are coming in the spring - also freesias, gladioli, and lisianthus.

Thumbnail by Seandor
Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Nice lot of Pics. Seandor
Looks like you have been buisy.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the front yard during the summer. Parts of it, like the triangle garden get six hours of sun - the rest gets partial sun at best.

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the front side garden taken from the second floor today. The plant in the middle of the triangle is a burning bush (shrub that turns flame red in the fall - only ours doesn't because there is not enough sunshine that late in the year). I would like to replace it with something - maybe a shrub rose?

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of the front veranda in summer - as you see, I could use some advice on plants for shade :-)

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

And for the last picture! One of my first attempts at flower arranging using asiatic lilies, astilbe, and hosta from my gardens. Well . . . you have to start somewhere :-)

Thumbnail by Seandor
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You've done a fantastic job, Seandor! Your home is beautiful (love the turret effect) and you've really made beautiful gardens. Love the arbor, the curves and the path you made.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks ginger749. Where are you writing from? If your gardens are in bloom, can you send photos to us garden-deprived folks in New England . . . please!

Cheers,
Seandor

The fabric on your sofa is the same as on our kitchen chairs!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks pirl. My concern is that I have over-reached myself and it will all be too much to take care of. Then I read about others who measure their gardens in acres - not a few small gardens!

Well, let's hope for the best for this spring. i am concerned about a sudden cold snap with no snow covering to protect bulbs, etc.

Seandor

I`m from Australia.
Central east coast .
Right next to Brisbane.
I would like to add some pics.
Should I start a new thread or what ?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes -after we bought the sofa and love seat, the fabric showed up everywhere. We bought the furniture in Kamloops British Columbia, but I believe it was made in Georgia.

That is taken in the tv room. someday when I win a lottery, I hope to replace the furniture with dark burgandy leather furniture and make the room more den-like (and in keeping with the style of the house.)

How is your garden doing?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes - I would start a new thread, because not everyone is all that interested in my house - but everyone likes flowers :-)

It's great to hear from someone on the other side of the planet. what time of day is it? What day is it - I am guessing it is about 5 am Sunday?

You are close. It is 8.48 am Saturday.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice Seandor, architecture is an intersest of mine and your house is very nice. I see you expanded your back yard bed quite a bit - good job! There are plenty of options for the shade don't worry. For me the maintenance of the plants is the easy and fun part, the hauling dirt and digging in the mud is the work beforehand.

Al

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

GInger - the garden tours forum has threads like this one in it if that's what you were talking about.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

ginger749 - you are kind I am out by more that 24 hours!

24 hours is but a blink of the eye
When you live in the garden.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

True . . . it is now 6:20 pm Friday night, and I must get dinner ready for the family. Nice chatting with you. Have a wonderful day in your gardens. I look forward to seeing pictures.

cheers
Seandor.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Seandor, I love the house! thanks so much for the pics. and I really like the walkway and arbor. very nice look! I can't wait to see it with everything in bloom. I'm sure you can gets lots of advice for shade plants. I sometimes wish I had a little more shade. Everything here is sun, sun, sun.

for shade you have all the wonderful hostas, ferns, hellebores, bleeding heart, hollies, rhododendrons. lots of nice ground covers. you'll have to let us know what you like.

here's a link to a thread about roses that are better suited to a site that doesn't get full sun. you may find one for your triangle.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/577404/

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Seandor, what a nice home! Good job!

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 12:29 AM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks grandpapa, thanks Dave47. My husband, David does all the "heavy lifting." I get all the pleasure of planting :-) Great arrangement, don't you think?

Seandor

Of course it's a great arrangement, Seandor! You're a wonderful person to allow him to get all that good exercise while you have the harder job of what to plant where, how much to plant, etc. What a loving spouse you are! I do the same thing.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Love the house, Seandor.
I hope you keep us posted as the gardens come to life in a few months.
Andy P

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi AndyP,

Christmas 2005, my darling husband recieved a digital camera from Santa - so I will be able to photograph everything and post it to my diary/journal. I will post "successes" to this forum :-)

Thanks for your support and interest.

cheers,
Seandor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.