THYMUS Serphyllum Annie Hall

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi! I really would like to use this plant in our "rock" pathway. It receives sun during spring and summer, and deep shade in late fall and winter. Has anyone tried this plant? Is it easy to grow from seed ? (I don't think I could afford to buy enough plants - I have already blown the budget for plants this year!)

I looked at the trading pages, but no one was offering this.

Cheers,
Seandor

Thumbnail by Seandor
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Seandor, are you particularly stuck on Annie Hall? A lot of the creeping thymes are very similar. I think I have 9 different varieties planted now...I'm addicted LOL. But I don't have Annie Hall. I haven't tried growing any from seed, but they are supposed to be fairly easy. Anyway, what I am leading up to is, I have a rather large (I think 1/8 of an ounce, which is a lot of thyme seed..something like 350,000) of generic Thymus serphyllum. If you would like to try it, I would be glad to share it with you. It's more than I will ever use. When I bought it I thought I would use it to edge pathways and that sort of thing, but I've gotten caught up in buying the different varieties. Here's a pic from the place where I bought it (outsidepride.com)

gram

Thumbnail by grampapa
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

No - I am not fixated on Annie Hall - I just want a short thyme that will work in sun and partial sun, that is scented and can stand some light foot traffic. Is thyme hard to grow from seed? I will place myself in your hands and your directions :-)

What is the process for sharing seeds? I am a rookie and new to this. :-) Shall I send you a SASE? What do I owe you in compensation?

Seandor
P.S. Thanks for responding :-)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Just d-mail me your address :-) I've only been a member here since last spring and you wouldn't believe the number of lovely people who have just sent me seeds and plants for no other reason than just plain generosity! This is one little chance for me to start to give back.

Rockton, PA

Hi!
I bought Thymus Serph. coccineum from www.bluestoneperennials.com spring 2005. I was amazed at how fast it is growing. I have given some starts to friend already. It is cataloged under the groundcovers 3 plants for $9.95. i am pleased with it.
Aline

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.