Ugh. aspengirl, I lost your lease thread

On the banks of the , VA(Zone 7a)

ok, so..

FIRST AND FOREMOST...and I know I sound like a broken record on this you guys and I am sorry to be a bore, but nothing is worth having to defend some moronic suit in court. Call your insurance company and find out what happens if some person..(then discuss age and supervision) comes and rides your horse. I am willing to bet you're ok IF YOU ARE NOT ACCEPTING MONEY. Once you accept money you are acting as a professional and that is a whole nother ball of wax. It is just not worth it to run a risk in this day and age, when we all have home and mouths we are responsible for.

So that leaves you with just free riding time and for that, what I'd do is ask a trainer you like to recommend a kid. We've all got one who rides good and can't pay, and we're always scrounging rides for them.

You could do a lease...a full lease. Basically give her to someone, but you retain ownership. They become responsible for all the horse's bills, and if you require and they agree to it, insurance. Most of my leases contain a clause that the horse remains in my care and custody. Believe it or not one thing I had to start writing into my leases was that the lessse would ride the horse X amount of days per week because I couldn't stand to see a good one just sitting there. (The recourse for it not being ridden is I ride it and charge them.)

I do half leases occasionally, I don't like to do them, it causes conflicts at shows. In a half lease you can work out who pays for what any way you like....in my case, if I am the other half of the lease, they pay half the same fees as anyone else, except for lessons and horse show fees, which are on them. If it's two other people, they work it out however they do it. 60/40, whatever. Usually whatever percentage of riding time you're getting, that's the percentage you pay.

Clear as mud?

This message was edited Jan 11, 2007 10:28 PM

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!