new to hickory and nc

Hickory, NC

i am new to the area and am wondering what sort of gardening events,clubs, etc., happen in the hickory area. i have a half acre,and i am planning borders this winter.i would love to hear from locals about their successes and wisdoms.i moved from naples florida, and am originally from new york. my wife and i love this area and have no regrets.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy, theflorist!

A hearty WELCOME TO DG! And also WELCOME to NC!

I don't live in the Hickory area so can't help you with local goings-on but I bet if you contact the local Ag Office they can let you know what Garden Clubs abound in that area. And if you like, check the Member list here at DG...you may find others in the Hickory area that you could get in touch with.

By the way, what kind of borders are you hoping to put in? Screening hedges? Low "outlining" borders? Etc.... (I'm the curious sort, ya know!?) :>)

Again, Welcome! Hope to see you around the Site!

Shoe.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Welcome
We have a homestead 13 miles North West of Boone and not too far from you.

We lived in S.Florida and moved to the Carolinas almost 8 years ago.You are going to love it here.One of our best friends is in real estate in Mountain City TN where business is booming.He told us that 95% of his clients are moving from Florida (he is from Fl too) many from the Naples area.Mountain City is just over the border with NC.

There is one DG member from Hickory that I know of.Her screen name is moretz.I don't know if she visits this forum but if you contact her I am sure she will be happy to share info with you.

Hickory, NC

hey horseshoe and downhil_babe, thanks for the warm welcome and info, i will follow up on it. horseshoe, we have a totally walled and fenced in yard, and some of the fence we just put in and that is were we are putting mixed borders of shrubs, small trees and perennials.i started alot of plants last summer, and now we will move them in to there new home. thanks for asking.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

theflorist
hiiiiiiiiiiiii we are neighbors lol where are you located at? maybe we can get together and have some fun lol plmk and thxs
moretz

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

theflorist....sounds like you'll be having a great time planting/planning. It also sounds like you pretty much know what you want. (But, fences?...Don't forget to utilize them, hmmmm....Moonvine grows nicely up fences, offering beautiful flowers at night and on overcast days. Course now, you could also plant scarlet runner beans and enjoy the vines, the flowers, and also harvest the beans for some good eats!)

Hope you will post pics of your endeavors some time!

And yes, moretz, hope the two of ya'll can get together sometime! Nothing better than a DG gathering!

Shoe.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

yes i know,i had a plant trade here about 3 or so years ago and it turned out great,so many people are on dg now that are getting even closer to me lol and i might end up doing another lol so maybe i can do this and get alot fo people to come and we all can meet each other and keep in touch? thxs so much for doing th carolina forum Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!
moretz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.