ID and recommendation needed

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone,
This is a photo my DH took of the creatures invading my brug cuttings. I've tried spraying with several different types of insect sprays but they keep coming back.
Any suggestions and advice is appreciated as I'd like these cuttings to see the spring and new pots.
Thanks,
Lora B.

PS. They're on my tropical hib too.

Thumbnail by LoraB
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are aphids (plant lice). They are easily killed with plain old soapy water. Because they are so soft-bodied, the soapy water dessicates them - they simply dry out. You have to hit them directly. But it is easy to miss a few, and because they reproduce so rapidly, you might see them again. Just hit 'em with the soapy water again, and keep a look out for them. Really don't need anything stronger. That's a couple of tablespoons of dish soap to one gallon of water. Or you can use insecticidal soap, if you have it.

I don't think you need anything stronger than that which was suggested by ceejaytown either. One thing though, start hitting them right now and keep knocking off that plant and dessicating them through summer. Eggs that will soon be hatching are going to be females. Ants love the honeydew produced and to protect their colony, they move some to their colony to protect them over winter. If ants are around, they will be moving some back. Ants also will put them back on a plant if they are knocked to the ground. You might want to add a few ant traps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.