Repotting satsuma orange

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

I've got a satsuma orange that I need to repot into a larger pot. I've seen conflicting articles about the best kind of potting soil to use. I have been using organic techniques in my yard and would like to do so with this container. Does anyone have any experience with citrus in containers? What would be a good mixture to use?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

A well-aerated soil that holds a fair amount of water and will retain its structure for the intended interval between repots is necessary to achieve the optimum plant vitality and to allow the plant to grow near its potential genetic vigor. In MI, I use some variation of equal parts of Turface, crushed granite, and screened pine or fir bark for some 200 woody containerized plants and it has held me in good stead over the years and lessened the effort involved in growing. I have a good number of friends growing a variety of citrus in this soil with very good results. If you have interest, I can help you build it - if not, others will offer additional advice.

Al

Fulton, MO

For my citrus, I use a CHC. 3-4 parts CHC, 1 part perlite, 1 part peat, with some pelletized dolomite, Micromax, and Osmocote fert. The CHC is a well tested mix that will remain well aerated and retain it's structure for a long time. Here is a link which shows how to prepare the chips: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/607678/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.