2007 Intros: Joe Ghio's Newly Introduced Irises online

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

For those who may be interested - Joe Ghio's new 2007 Introductions can now be seen online. check link & Enjoy.
http://montereybayiris.org/gallery/ghio07.shtml

Information concerning these 2007 Introductions are as follows: (Below info is not on the webpage)

"Here's a rough draft of the 2007 intros. jjg"

CHRISTMAS PRESENT 34 inches, ML. $50.00

Years ago Orville Fay released his series of "blue orchids" which included Rippling Waters and Champagne Music. Christmas Present is the modern update of that series: Smooth blue orchid self which lightens some in the center of the falls with a green cast to the lighten area. Beards are light tangerine with orchid tips. Beautiful wide full form with the petal edges bubble ruffled with a touch of lace. Balanced show branching with plentiful buds. And a tribute to Mr. Fay, the plant is completed with lush blue green foliage. No. 01-76G2: 99-59M2: (97-74-I4: (94-8S3: (Blonde Bombshell x 90-12Q3: (Pink Ballerina x 86-95B4: (Newlywed x Caption))) x 93-140-I2: (Pink Starlet x 91-43P: (Happy Marriage x Bubbling Along))) x 96-57Z: (Perfect Gift x Blonde Bombshell)) X 99-11-I4: (97-24A3: Natural Blond sib x Thinking of You).

COMEDY, 36 inches, ML. $50.00

Dramatic comedy is this blend of beautiful complementary colorings. A very large full formed beauty with blue white peaked standards with a hairline gold rim. The wide falls are cream based washed over and lined with black purple. Bright deep tangerine red beards set of this dramatic origination. Tall, well branched, and lightly ruffled. No. 00-141K2: Original Art X U97-5E, unknown from planned crosses.

COMFORTABLE, 38 inches, EM. $50.00

Another new vista from line & speckle breeding. The akimbo standards are medium pink that nicely frame the frilly pink style arms. The wide semi-flaring pink falls lighten towards the center and are edged in a wide rim of rosewood. Beards of tangerine and whirling corrugated ruffling. Many buds on tall well branched spikes that start blooming very early in the season. It also sends up some secondary stalks after its first flush of bloom is done. No. 01-160T: Revere X 99-120G: (Next Millennium x Love of Teresa).

FOREVER BLOWING BUBBLES, 33 inches, EML. $50.00

Not a rebloomer but it begins blooming early and continues right to the end of the season so heavily budded is this snowy lovely. Pure white self that develops a greenish area around the white beards. The Ghio formed blooms are fluttering in deep bubble ruffling. Beautifully branched and rebranched. No. 00-85K: Bubbles Galore X 97-114T2: (Arctic Express x 95-31C2: (Double Bubble x Delta Blues)).

HALLOWEEN TREAT, 32 inches, EM. $50.00

Just what you would expect from an iris with this name: a spooky orange and black combo! Standards are a vibrant orange and the wide falls are smooth maroon black with tangerine beards for accent. Light ruffling, wide branching, and tons of buds. No. 02-11M: 00-8J2, Vigilant sib X 98-2E: (96-9F2: (93-152A3: (Affaire x Romantic Evening) x Connection) x Starring)).

PICTURE BOOK, 40 inches, EM. $50.00

Another of the wonderful Treasured children. The broad falls are mid pink deepening at the edges and toward the heart of the blooms. The mid pink standard top the bloom like the steeple of a cathedral. The petal edges are somewhat serrated and dancing with accordion ruffles. Wonderful wide show branching with some nine buds and tangerine beards. Quite vigorous and floriferous. No. 00-34C: Treasured X unknown.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Margie thanks for good reading material, I however cannot afford such prices, although my eyes would love to own some of them.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are lovely, aren't they? Candy to the eyes!!

Many of us can't afford first year prices on introductions either..................but possibly in a few years we can either afford them when they are priced lower, or trade with someone who will purchase them, or get them as a "Free" bonus when we place an order for much cheaper irises. :-)

We can always dream...................or try to make some for ourselves by crossing our own irises to see what we can come up with. :-)

~ Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

RITE OF PASSAGE is not posted online for you to see, but Joe Ghio just sent me his photo of it. So, I'm posting it here for you to see.

(Click photo to see full size picture)

RITE OF PASSAGE

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They are all stunning. Maybe someday....... I still have irises wintered in pots that I didn't get planted last year, so I guess I won't be ordering any new ones until they are all planted. ( Of course I have a while before ordering season.)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How does one purchase a Joe Ghio recent introduction. I have not found even the ones for sale anywhere on the internet. Ghio's website posts the prices as they were in 2004 but nothing since. I would assume that some of them may have gone down in price, but maybe not, since they don't seem to be for sale anywhere.
They are really beautiful. Does he send out catalogs?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes, he sends out catalogs......with photos of this years and some of last years introductions; and lists older irises at very reasonable prices too. I'm sure he'll put you on his mailing list.

Here is his e-mailing address

ghiobayview@surfnetusa.com

~Margie

(Edited to fix the link, but it really didn't fix it afterall)

This message was edited Jan 13, 2007 11:23 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I will ship out a catalog request right away.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous! I especially like COMEDY and NICHE. Thanks for the website, Margie! :0)

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I see 'RITE OF PASSAGE' has been added to Joe Ghio's link. That's good.

HI Laura!! :-)
My 2 favorites are COMEDY and COMFORTABLE. I love dreaming and looking forward to spring bloom.

~ Margie

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Does Joe Ghio sell his Pacific Coast Irises? They are spectacular!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.