Need Ideas for Shade plants and terracing

Columbus, GA(Zone 5b)

a large hillside area. The area receives filter, indirect sunlight through the tree, but overall very shady area. I am in Zone 5B and was wondering if anybody has ideas on good plants for the area. And/or resources for shade gardens, ie places that sell seeds and plants.

I am also curious if anybody has ideas for shrubs and vines that are fragrent and need only 2 to 3 hours of afternoon sun daily?

THank you

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Kidncatsndogs - Just go right over to the "Suggestions for plants for fairly deep shade" thread in this forum and you will get a very good list - Dax

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Honeysuckle, very shade tolerant and gorgeous smelling blooms.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Don't plant the Japanese honeysuckle! It will take over the neighborhood.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

There are a few native roses that are fragrant and beautiful, for an informal garden, that take part sun. I love my Rosa virginiana not only for it's pink blooms in June but also it's winter red canes and rose hips. I haven't grown it myself but Rosa setigera (climbing prairie rose) was recommended by another DG member and is native to your area. I would give either the sunniest spot in your shaded area for the best blooms.
I grow the native honeysuckle(Lonicera sempervirens) in deciduous shade. In the shaded spot it blooms only in the spring, but it has pretty leaves and the flowers are lovely and attract hummers. Unfortunately it is not fragrant.

Beachwood, OH

Clethra - smells heavenly when it blooms. Also Itea and Fothergilla. Fothergilla smells just like honey and beeswax to me. I don't think Itea has a scent but there are several varieties in different sizes that can help fill things in. Lindera - spicebush has a smaller pleasant little white flower in spring but its main attraction is that is the primary food of a species of butterfly which I ought to know but am blanking on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.