Ideas for privacy screen

Canton, NC

Hi, all! I recently moved to Western North Carolina from Alaska. I bought a beautiful old home, but it is on a corner lot, so is very exposed. It has 3 beautiful old Maple trees, so will have shade in the summer. I would like to put a patio between the house and the Maple trees, but need something for privacy. I am thinking of planting some sort of screening, vs a fence. I don't want it too tall (4-5ft) so that light can still come through. I am looking for creative ideas. Any thoughts? It is zone 6a.
I have attached a picture of the house. The side that I want to put the patio on is on the left in the picture. The two Maple trees are out of the picture and the privacy screen would go on the other side of them.
Thank you!!!
Nancy

Thumbnail by CuriousNancy
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Nancy,
Maple trees can create some very deep shade that is often challenging for many plants used for screening. Are you looking for a mixed border surrounding the patio? It is hard to tell by your photo but I am guessing you different degrees of shade in that area. You might begin by noting the number of hours of sun light and to what degree ie sun-part sun-shade-deep shade. kt

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

What exposure is the side where you would like to put your patio? There are a lot of plants that would do well in your zone, but one that is fast-growing & comparatively inexpensive is rose of sharon-it fills in quickly, tolerates poor soil, can be sheared for a hedge. If you give some more info about your site, we could could probably suggest a few more plants...

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Whenever I have a planting scheme to consider the first thing I do is walk around the neighborhood. I take my digital camera and shoot pictures of the plants that appeal to me. It is a good way to get ideas of how to place your plants, seeing what others have had success with. I try to take 3 photos, 1st long distance, 2nd close up (maybe 10 feet away) and last details of foilage or flowers for indentification (if I don't know the plant). If you knock on someones door to ask questions they usually are flattered to have your interest, compliments work wonders with most humans. I have been invited into many gardens for a cool drink and coversation with some very knowledgable folks.

For enclosure I like to build things, must be a guy thing. I used curved lattice corners on this job up in Minnesota a few years back.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You might want to talk to a good garden center about sasanqua camellias. Apparently there are some cultivars that do go down to zone 6. They are evergreen, easy to keep in size and bloom in the snow. Not bad - now if you can find the zone 6 ones....

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Dale that is a very inviting patio corner.

Nancy another photo perhaps on the level with your beautiful home, would be helpful.

Donna

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

CuriousNan...I suggest using an evergreen shrub (ie: Taxus x media or an arborvitae ) as the outline of the privacy hedge and fill in with shrubs that bloom so that it's attractive year round. I've enjoyed Althea 'Rose of Sharon' with maybe some Syringa (lilacs) or if its shadier, some hydrangea and rhodendron. Then you could fill in with perennals and bulbs.
and Dale....I appreciate your style ;))

Canton, NC

Thank you all for your responses! I haven't been watching the post for awhile because I have been busy moving in. I will take some more pictures and post. The side which the patio will go on is the east side of the house and gets good morning an late afternoon light. I have been watching the shadows since living her the past month. Part is deep shade, up against the house, there is an area between the trees and the house which will be dappled and then the area directly under the trees. I have been thinking of lattice (I love yours, Dale!) and having roses and clematis, etc to cover them. I am also planning on building beds for a shade garden.
I'll get the camera out tomorrow and get some better pictures.
Most everyone around here has lawn's and a few foundation plantings. I will be putting a new twist on things around here as I would like to replace my lawn with wide borders and very little lawn.
Again, thanks!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.