A Pic of My Amaryllis Vera

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi,,, I'm new to the 'amaryllis scene' so I don't know if I'm doing this right. I had no clue until a year ago that there were different kinds (i.e., colors) of amaryllis, so I bought one of those ones in a box. Box says it's an Amaryllis "Vera". My amaryllis are normally outside year round and I don't do anything special to them except enjoy the flowers once a year. Soooo, I was really surprised when this one actually bloomed indoors... I love it!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's another view

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Maybe just one more... :-)

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Beautiful photos! I bought 2 bulbs labeled as Vera at WM, so far the first one turned out to be Apple Blossom, so fingers crossed that the other is Vera. She's a beauty! The second has buds showing, II've kept it cooler but will take it into the office soon.

Yardley, PA

Just got into Amaryllis this year, too. Ended up with 19! I had no idea there were so many types and colors.
You just can't beat them for the winter. Vera is beautiful.

This is a Lady Jane which is a double. Mine are just starting to open now because I started them late. I have some paperwhites behind them. Boy, do they smell. Nice to have some flowers this time of year. I can't plant them outside which would be so much easier.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Kniphofia and SallyD!! Love the pic of your double, Sally!! Kniphofia - Does Vera kind of look like apple blossom?? I have an apple blossom that I got last year but I planted it directly outside and it didn't bloom.... maybe this year. I also got one that looks like an apple blossom from a neighbor and the bloom is HUGE. Even though he had a bunch, he wouldn't give it to me until after it finished blooming so we'll have to see if it blooms this year :-)

I wonder if I'll get seeds from this one amaryllis? I've heard others talking on this forum about saving the pollen and cross pollinating but it's WAY about my head LOL. I would love for this one to produce seeds... just not sure if I have to do something to make that happen or not.

Mobile, AL

LAKelley,

Your Vera looks very different from mine, but WOW, is it a beauty or what!?!?!

Sally, Lady Jane was one of my first doubles, and they bloom almost every year with no extra special attention. Mine stay outside most of the year also, and the special ones like Lady Jane are in pots.

LAKelley, To produce seeds, just pinch off one of the little stems that have the pollen on the end, then brush the pollen on the stigma after it splits open with 3 prongs. You'll see the difference. You can use the pollen from the same flower. Most of the time, that works with hybrids like yours and is well worth the try. You can actually see the pollen sticking to the stigma which will be coated with it.

Then, you wait 4-8 weeks. With hybrids, it is usually more like 4-6. When the seed pod starts to crack open, the seeds are ready to harvest. There are many methods for growing the seeds, but it is best to grow them within a few months of harvesting them.

The whole process is quite easy and FUN!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

HSTeacher - Thanks... I did that last night as someone else also told me the trick LOL. My husband wanted to know what the heck I was doing so I had to explain LOL... funny, funny! I've collected seed from my outside amaryllis before so I know how to do that... I've just never grown one indoors and wasn't sure what was required to make "babies"! :-) I can't wait to see if this "took". The flowers seem to keep getting bigger and bigger! I love the color too. I've taken more pics but they are home... will try to post tonight!

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!

Linda

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's today's pics

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by LAKelley2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.