Help with PF listing

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you please let me know how this should be listed in PF. Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I took my name out of your message because I'm not sure I'm the most qualified to answer or help you, and I don't' want anyone else to think they can't or shouldn't chime in ;o)

Truth be told, I'm not familiar with this species, and there are other Salvia growers who may be familiar with it and be able to advise if that's its current name, or if that's an outdated synonym.

Is the cultivar called 'Blue Velvet'? (I was having trouble deciphering the first word in the photo.)

It's 'Purple Velvet' I believe, and thanks for helping. Hopefully someone will chime in with the correct way to list it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would put "x Scorodoriafolia" (sorry, I know I butchered the spelling) in the species field, then Purple Velvet would be the cultivar. The "x" notation I think is used when you have a particular hybrid cross between two other species, sometimes (especially if they're going to commercialize the plant) instead of calling it Salvia species 1 x species 2, they will give it a new name and call it Salvia x new species. I've seen this nomenclature used for intergeneric hybrids, for example x Chitalpa tashkentis is a intergeneric hybrid between Chilopsis and Catalpa, and if you look in PF you will find it listed with "x Chitalpa" as the genus.

Sound great! Thanks ecrane!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Should have added, I don't know if this is a current botanically accepted name or not (to Terry's point above), but if it is a correct name this is how I think it would be entered. If you google it and find a number of references to it, you can usually make a decent guess from looking at a few of the references whether it's a current name or whether it's a synonym for something else that may already be in PF.

Yes, I took a step back and I'm asking if x scorodoniaefolia is an accepted name (and spelling of it); that's what I'm most uncertain about.

If it is a valid and properly spelled epithet, then Lamiaceae would be the family, Salvia would be the genus and x scorodoniaefolia would be the species, with Purple Velvet as the cultivar.

However, there are several 'Purple Velvet'-esque names floating around, some associated with S. leucantha, others shown as a hybrid (no specific epithet), and a few sites disagree on whether it's 'Purple Velvet' or 'Midnight Purple Velvet' or 'Strybing Purple Velvet'...

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Lali girl! So lets see your find. Nosey me wants to see. LOL. I just bet this is 'Strybing Purple Velvet', LOL.

This is an interesting one.

Salvia scorodoniaefolia is accepted as a species not a hybrid epithet. RHS lists the spelling as S. scorodoniifolia which is most likely to be the more modern spelling as there is a move from the ae spellings.

I can find nothing to tie this species to a hybrid epithet nor to any cultivar name.

Hmmm. So it really boils down to an ID issue - is it S. scorodoniaefolia (aka S. scorodoniifolia) or is it Salvia 'Purple Velvet' (or something similar)?

It's most definitely not a salvia leucantha type. Here's the photo. And yes Kell, it's from Strybing - taken Saturday - I missed you that day!!!

Here's a shot of the bloom

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Such a pretty green there with great colored stems and calyx! I wonder if Dr. Don would know, Lali.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This list might be a little helpful in the ID. It looks more like a cross: http://www.cabrillo.edu/academics/horticulture/salvias/html/Sale11.html
I think it's this one: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/98716/index.html
I'd say it might be a misprint on the label and 'Strybing Purple Velvet'

Thanks growin!!

Walnut Creek, CA

I was curious about that one too. It was in massive bloom 11/11/08, gorgeous and huge. Here is some info from Mona Bourell at Strybing.

Salvia x scorodoniaefolia 'Purple Velvet'

In our records:
"J. Coria's selection from open pollinated S. scorodoniaefolia
originally obtained from Robert Abe of Chia Nursery via Cabrillo
College. Purple Velvet is very different from parent plant."

Walnut Creek, CA

Ooops, folks, my mistake, i was talking about the plant next to the one you are talking about!! It seemed the sign was in front of the plant I just described which turns out to be s. purpurea. Mona's new reply follows.

Johnny,

I went out to the site with Don Mahoney. The plant you are describing
is Salvia purpurea [tall , clear purple flws]. It does not have a sign.
Next to it is a smaller species with the sign, Salvia x scorodoniaefolia
'Purple Velvet' it is only about 3-4 ft and has pale whitish lavender
flws.

We do not have S. purpurea in propagation right now , but possibly could
have it in the future.

Mona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images