Help! I accidentally gave my adenium sunburn!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Over the long holiday from work, I decided to set up a CFI bulb in a lamp on a timer for my Adenium obesum, being that the co-worker with the big south window would be gone until mid-January. The bulb being only 19 watts, I set it fairly close to the tips of the adenium (having left my light meter home). Today I thought the very tips looked a bit black and scorched. When I touched them, the tips broke off. The caudex is very fat & firm. I brought my light meter in today, and determined that the light was much too close, so I move the plant away from the light until the reading showed 40,000 to 50,000 ft-candles. I took a sterile scalpel (I'm medical school faculty in a surgery department) and cut the branches (which were leggy anyway) about 1/3 of the way down. I'm letting the cutting sit out overnight, then I want to stick them in moist perlite to see if they root. But my question is about the main plant recovering. Should I do anything for it other than water it when dry?

Yardley, PA

I wouldn't do anything special. I have put mine out in the sun too fast in the spring and burned the leaves. They usually will just replace themselves over time. Never been a real problem.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Not the leaves that burned (it dropped it leaves over the holiday while I was away), the tips of the branches).

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I usually don't water much once mine drops its leaves, because that usually indicates it's going dormant for the winter. I give it almost no water when that happens. When spring arrives I start introducing more water again, especially when it starts showing signs of new growth.

However, just to confuse me, my oldest Adenium has not gone dormant for the first time in many years and still has most of its leaves (who knows why.) So I'm still watering it occasionally, but not as much as I did previously when it was having fun outdoors.

In my opinion, I don't think the loss of your branch tips will hurt anything at all. I managed to sunburn a spot on the nice big caudex of mine, during a move. Now that brown scar will always be there to remind me what a bad Adenium mother I am. Your situation is not so bad, mine is something to be ashamed of!
Sheri

Yardley, PA

Mine rarely go dormant. What usually happens is that when I bring them indoors they end up with spider mites and quickly loose their leaves. It can be hard to detect. I started spraying early this year so they are all still in bloom. I usually cut all the branches off toward the spring anyway. I don't think it makes any difference that it was done now.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Sally, what do you spray yours with?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.