Could use some help choosing a Japanese Maple

Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

I would like to purchase a Japanese Maple but there are so many choices, I was hoping someone could help me. I live in Southern California, zone 9 and I probably will start it in a pot which will be in partial to full shade. During the summer, I can move it in an area that gets morning and afternoon sun. I would prefer a variety that grows fairly quickly - if there is one.

Any suggestions?

~Sherri~

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I think that we have a couple of members from your area/zone that will chime in, and they have excellent advice. You may wish to decide on a couple of things first:

Red vs Green as primary color, or variegated.
"Palmatum" shaped leaf or dissected leaf
Eventual height of the tree
Any special conditions...wind in addition to shade, for example.

These things will help narrow the choices down some. Search through the plant files and see what strikes your fancy and maybe they can recommend something that is similar if not that particular cultivar.

Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the great information.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you want to keep it in a pot it will stay shorter - but if you put it in the ground it will get taller than it says on the websites.

Searching through the plant files is a little trouble because there are so many entries with no photos. Here's a sort in the plantfiles that lists all the vendors. Some will have photos, some not.

Do you want an upright tree or a mounding one?

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Also, Mountain Maples is a great source, and always have good information and advice. Check out their website.

www.japanesemaples.com

Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

I am not sure if I want an upright or mounding. I am not looking for it to grow into a large tree. I am surrounded by mature california oak trees - so I really dont need a large tree. More for decoration than anything. A mounding sounds nice. Would that be like a bush?

Can you tell I am a complete novice ? LOL

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Most dissectums are bush like mounds if let to "go" on their own...there are also many dwarf and semi dwarf palmatum leafed JM's that become bush like too and really ANY JM can be trimed to be more bush like than tree like and have multiple stems...and can be kept smaller or you can containerize it then it is easy to keep smaller although much more work with watering and upsizing pots root trimming etc.... the growth rate of ALL jm's vary greatly and I don't know if you are in primo JM area if not then a 10 year growth rate even on a 3 year upright bloodgood might not be more than 15 feet.max.. As has been stated select type, color...SPRING ,FALL,SUMMER and the LOOK of your tree ...get several possibilities YOU like and post them ...and we can give you our opinions ... without that, with 400+ JM varieties and really no idea what you like this forum probably will not be especially helpful to your search...daVID

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you need to go looking around, why hurry, your tree will be with you for many years, so find one you really like.

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.