OP Vegetable Seeds wanted

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm looking for some donations of OP veggie seeds for my new place in the country. I don't need many of each, and can pay postage.

I particularly want some winter squash (smaller size as it's just me here) and I already have butternut. Also, beans (prefer bush so I don't have to make something for them to climb) for both fresh, canned and dried beans.

I don't think I will have enough space prepared this year for corn unless it's just a few popcorn for the novelty. I don't eat eggplant nor peppers. I love all kinds of greens (and expect to have a 3 season GH by Fall), and root vegetables like parsnips, jerusalem artichokes, leeks, shallots, etc.

I'd like to try a few things not in my ordinary fare, too.

TIA!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Darius:

I am going to go through my seed inventory this weekend. I'll see what I have

BB

Thanks, BB!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Darius,
BY OP do you mean heirloom or not, cause I have a fistfull of seeds I just got in from Totally Tomatoes and Johnny's. I'd be honored to share with you. I have two types of lettuce, space spinach, Kentuck Wonder green beans, bell peppers, squash and okra.

Let me know.

Gymgirl, Thanks, I'd love whatever you can share! I thought all Heirlooms were OP... just that not all OP's are heirloom but what do I know? LOL.

Hey Gym:

What's space spinach?

Does Johnny's automatically send out a catalog to customers who brought from them last year? I placed all of my seed orders this weekend and realized I didn't get one from them.

BB

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I placed my order online, but I had received my catalog before the seeds came in the mail. Firsttimer to them and to Totally Tomatoes, which sent the 2006 and the 2007 catalogs.. Also got my TGS catalog.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

BB,

I just got Johnny's catalog this week. I was also wondering about spinach...what kind that the growers package for salads and eating like lettuce.

Hi Indy:

I grew Bloomsdale Standing which we really like a lot. I didn't grow any for market as we really like spinach and when you think you have a lot, you really don't, especially if you steam or sautee it

BB

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Would you be interested in some Heirloom Beefsteak from Baker Creek or Rutgers? I got my order today and I have more than enough to share if you are interested in them. Lemme know!!!

Megan

Yes Megan, but just a few of each. Thanks.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Got Cherokee Purple and Green Zebra's from Bakers - would ya like some ? :)

Dea

Dea, I'd like to try the Cherokee. Don't know how I feel about a ripe green tomato, LOL.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I'll send a pack of the Cherokee's your way on Monday :) The Green Zebra's are lemony and will toss some in too :)

Dea

Thanks, Dea! Just a few Cherokee seeds is sufficient, and as you know I like lemon so maybe I'll like the Green Zebra too.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Okay, I'll send em out on Tuesday... the post office is closed on Monday. :)

Thanks! I had forgotten Monday was MLK day.

What are you still needing?

BB

BB, anything except tomatoes and corn. I really hope for some squash, summer ones and winter keepers.

I have some seeds from a yellow acorn squash I can share although I cannot guarantee them as I didn't grow them.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Gotcha covered on the squash, darius - I have some Bon-Bon, Kabocha, and Winter Keeper for you and how 'bout a summer selection of Zuke Rampicante, Straight-Neck Yellow, and Butter Scallop?

Sure, Sequee! Thanks.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Tossing in a package of Virginia Blue Bells, as well. I hope they are still viable!

Good luck!

Whooeee, I love those, hope they are still good. :-)

Darius:

I have some sunburst pattypan squash and a winter variety called Lakota

Want some?

BB

Sure! I love pattypans marinated in olive oil and garlic and tossed on the grill. Not familiar with Lakota but I've never met a squash I didn't like.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yum on the Lokata. You will have a very nice selection this year. We'll be over for a Sunday bbq!

Dmail me your mailing address.

Hi Sequee!

BB

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Howdy, BB!

I keep hearing the "space" spinach asking Scotty to beam them up - no intelligent life here!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Space is a smooth leafed spinach...as are some others Johnny's offers...like Green, Hector, Whale.and Lombardia. Anyone like one of these?...especially raw.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I've had dismal luck with spinach, but I'm dedicating space in the raised bed for it this year, so I'm sure it will be smashing! (How's that for optimism???)

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

....will be smashing. Are you expecting heavy hail? I had some smashing hail last year...not much fun.

I tried to grow a smooth leaf this year. Don't remember the name at the moment. Did not do well.

BB

My aunt always grew New Zealand spinach with great results. I iunderstand it's not a true spinach but I loved it.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

So..... are you needing anything else? :)

Melissa, I'm set for summer & winter squash, and tomaotes. Still looking for beans, greens, carrots, and other root vegetables.

Bush Beans correct? How many varieties would you like? I have several. I think I also have some popcorn.
I have Carrots, beets, and I'm sure some other root crops, it's hard to tell what I have in my container actually.
What about cucumbers? Are you doing any melons or watermelons? I have some fabulous Charentais Melons, they grow about the size of a grapfruit, perfect for individual servings, similar in taste to a cantelope, and several different varities of Heirloom Watermelon in assorted colors. :) I should also have some greens in there. I'll look through in a day or two and get something in the mail for you. I have some tomato trades to send out, but yours will be next on the list. :)

Do you have some patio/salad tomatoes coming to put in a container or by the back door for easy access? I have several varieties/colors if you don't. :) Summer salads are fabulous with 3 or 4 different colors of tomatoes in them. ;)

How are you on Iris? Anything I have, all you need do is ask. :)

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Melissa
I have never heard of Charentais Melons they sound really tasty. Would you have a few extra seeds for me? I could trade you something.
Teresa in KY

Melissa, Thanks!

I do not eat cukes and the Charentais Melons sound yummy! I love melons. There might be just me this summer if my sister doesn't get her house sold so I don't want to grow more than I can eat fresh or store for winter. I plan to build another solar food dryer and dehydrate some things, too.

Since I've never grown beans (or really even had a veggie garden before) I'm open to any and all suggestions. Last summer I had ONE Husky cherry tomato near the door that produced as many as 75-100 salad tomatoes at a time. I eat lots of summer salads and hope I can grow some greens too... it goesn't get overly hot here except for maybe a month although who knows now with the changing weather patterns?

I have 6-8 iris sent to me earlier. This place is mostly devoid of any summer flowers but some spring bulbs I didn't plant are poking through already. There are 5-6 large lilac bushes starting to bud (too soon) and there was a peony too close to the house which I divided. I hope it makes it. I really want lots of flower beds but food has to come first!

I was thinking if you had more than you could eat or put up one week, you could always put a sign in the driveway or find a farmers market that would let you get rid of your excess? We did that with eggs, and now have a few people that stop by pretty regularly for eggs, it isn't much, but helps pay for the chicken's food. :) In early spring I'll pull out some Iris/hosta/astilbe/ whatever for you. I have soooo many iris, but i've not done well with keeping them marked, so most will be a surprise! When you're ready for daylilies later on in the spring, I'll fix you right up! LOL

I've got a few different types of beans. All were tasty, some produce more bean, some produce more "green" LOL but mixing them up you get a nice pot of beans with shelley's included (My favorite) Depending on how much you want to can, a 20-40 feet of beans would probably be plenty for you to eat fresh/can. Of course depending on how many critters you have helping you eat. One or two vines of the Charantais would be more than enough for you I'm sure, hey, if you have left overs, you can always sell or share with neighbors!

Since you've not grown your own vegies before this will be an experimental year for you, you'll find out what you grew just way too much of and what you didn't grow enough of, and you'll have your guide for next year! Oooh, what about fresh peas? They need something to grow on, and not sure if you have anything like that set up yet?

I think some of my root vegies have edible tops. :)

Teresa, I'll see how many Charantais seeds I have left and dmail you.

Melissa, I like fresh peas raw, just not cooked to mush! I have 3-4' tall chicken wire around 3 sides of the old chicken pen if that's tall enough. It ony gets sun after about 12:00. I had thought maybe a sugar snap type along one side?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.