neat picture of Amaryllis

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

These are from some mini Amaryllis bulbs I got from bulbmart on Ebay. They are spectacular all by themselves, but check out this picture my DH took with our Olde Filme Camera.

xxxxxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Athens, OH

Carrie-
Beautiful. I love to grow a few of these at this time of the year. Sort of a countdown to my first bloom (dwarf iris) outside. It takes about 10 weeks from bulb to flower and my first iris blooms mid March. So I plan to pot up an Amaryllis next week. The rest I plant outside in the Spring in the Tropical garden.

Thanks for sharing.
ROX

Mobile, AL

Look at all those blooms!

Nice! Do you know which kind they are?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I forget. It's a miniature type, I know that. All the buds have not even opened yet! Quite delightful. Here's another pseudo-macro picture. Please realize: the flowers are just ordinary red, not pinky/purply/red which I think they look with the bright blue behind them.

xxxxx, Carrie

Mobile, AL

Carrie,

If your camera is like mine, red is one of the most difficult colors to photograph.

If I remember correctly, your mini looks an awful lot like Pamela. Pamela also simply drips in pollen like that and produces a lot of little offsets for me. Aren't they FUN!!!???!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They're wonderfullll! My DH took this pic with our older film camera. I just liked the way it looks against the blue behind it.

xxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sorry, HS. Yes, they ARE Pamela, you get the prize, which I guess is the inner thrill of knowing you recognise varieties of Amaryllis by their pollen!

xxxxx, Carrie

Mobile, AL

LAS! I sure wish that I could recognize them by the pollen. I bought a boxed Pamela many years ago. I don't remember if it was Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes, but it would have been one of those. The bloom shape and size is also a key to my guess at identification. However, it was last year that I noted the wonderful dripping pollen. I suppose that now that I am trying to do more 'creative' crosses, I take note of that more.

There are other reds that do drip pollen. The NOID that was labeled Ferrari does the same thing. The reason I call it Ferrari NOID is because there were others that were totally different in color (pink and white, red and white stripe) with the same Ferrari label. There were some others in the group that were labeled Red Lion.

So, I can't tell for sure...

Mobile, AL

Hey, Carrie!

I finally found it! This is a picture of Pamela showing that lovely, rich pollen!

I've really fallen for the mini's...

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's a wonderful picture... and I did find a label with mine that said "Pamela"... they're mostly finished now so it's hard to tell... and cameras definitely interpret reds differently... but I think mine were a lot pinker than yours, which are such a nice rich saturated red!

xxxxx, Carrie

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

ROX, if your looking for first flowers outside why don't you try Galanthus. Mine start blooming in January. They are a fun flower even if they are only 3" in height.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Snow drops, right? Now I have a gorgeous different Amaryllis blooming. Salmon? Rose? Pale brick red? Peach?

xxxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Finally got pictures... It's called Rilona.

xx, C

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Your Rilona is pretty. I just planted a bulb of Rilona, and am looking forward to its bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.