big vent...I may have to commit murder.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

I think I mentioned that there is a building attached to my barn that used to be a flower shop. I was going to turn it into a guest house as it has a bathroom and enough rooms to have 2 bedrooms, a living area and a kitchen. Well, my crazy aunt who lives in the apartment in the basement decided two weeks ago to move out there because she suddenly doesn't have enough room in the basement. Didn't discuss with me first, fine, whatever. She paid for this place so I guess technically she doesn't have to discuss anything with me I'm a little irratated that she's gonna have contractors out there just as I have Lady stalled due to her pregnancy and Lady's stall shares a wall with the area they are working. I've had a few calls to come move her because the bathroom backs up to Lady's stall and they are installing new plumbing and need to vent it out and up thru Lady's stall. No biggie. I get a call this morning to come move her for what I figure is the same thing. Nope. They are moving the gas furnace from inside the building to right outside Lady's stall. Excuse me? You are putting a gas furnace inside a barn full of hay and pine chips and horses? They said "yes, ma'am. We tried to talk her out of it but she didn't want the noise inside the house." I ask, is it noisy? They said no. Is it safe? They said yes. I said would you install it in a barn full of hay and wood chips and horses? They said "no, that's why we tried to talk her out of it".
These guys feel terrible for me and they put as much of a barricade up as possible since it's literally shoved up against the side of Lady's stall. They said there is a chance that the propane people won't approve it and turn the gas on to it due to the location. They also said I could call in an inspector but that I risk loosing my entire barn since nothing has ever been permited (one of the guys is the son of the former owner and knows the place). Part of me is thinking that may not be such a bad thing as 1) I do have money from the sale of our house and could build a new barn the way I want it and 2) it would keep the furnace out of my barn ;-). But with two mares going to foal in 4 months, this isn't the time plus I have work going on in the house that probably needs permits (new windows) and the money is 1) my sanity check that we could always buy another place if she pushs me completely over the edge and 2) my daughter's college education.
Does the ME check for arsenic?

This thread has 110 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!