Best time to relocate H. macrophylla?

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a dwarf mophead. I got it about six years ago and thought I had planted it in a good location: morning sun, afternoon shade, etc. Well, things do change. Some fast growing trees were planted on one side and a huge tree removed on the other side.

My hydrangea is still doing OK but it gets only the most searing afternoon sun in summer. It looks terribly wilted every sunny afternoon but pops back up evenings. The blooms are still lovely.

I would like to move my hydrangea to a spot where it will get dappled sun for most of the day during the summer. Will it survive a transplant and if so when would be the best time to move it? I live in zone 7a.

Thanks.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I transplant them now, so that the root system is cooled and can receive the benefit of winter rains. I do live in a higher zone, but I think now would be a good time for you. It shouldn't be too difficult. They transplant easily down here. Good gardening.
Ray
edited to say "higher" zone. Higher zone, but down here, Aw well. You get the idea. It's a bit warmer down here. lol

This message was edited Jan 5, 2007 3:16 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I transplanted some last January (necessary) and they did well but did not bloom this past summer. I don't know if it was the shock of moving them or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.