Wanting to get rid of gooseneck losestrife

Bettendorf, IA

(I posted this in Invasives, too, but don't know how much traffic goes there so I am posting here also)

It was here when we bought this house last year. It isn't hurting anything right now but it is taking up the only sunny spot in the garden and, well, I think it is ugly and would rather have some nice sun loving perennials there. I know is is considered invasive in some places and by some people so I thought I would ask here what the best way to remove it would be. It is dead and brown so I figured I would dig it all up and send it off with the yard waste tomorrow. Is this good? Will the roots be weaker if I wait longer and do it before stuff starts coming up in spring?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Well, here's my opinion. If possible I would spray it off with Roundup in the spring when it is actively growing. I don't trust permanent removal of herbaceous plants by pulling them. I removed some evening primrose last spring that way.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I would do both...dig up what roots you can (you will not get them all) and then as bigca says ...spray with Roundup and you will most likely have to do it more than once. You will be seeing little pieces for years to come.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with Levilyla.

I have the plant and love it. I have boundaries for it and when it crosses the line I dig it up - no problems.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It is great in arrangements if you have it in a confined pace.

I love the look of it but don't like the real geese. It is lovely in arrangements, as you said. It has a look to it that's not commonly found in our garden flowers.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

One of my favorite 'thugs'. I just let it romp until I think it is getting invasive and then I do a big dig. I have a big patch in full sun and another in the shade but so far (about 15 years) I have been able to keep it manageable. Patti

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That's impressive

bbrookrd - White or purple? I have the white one and I'm considering the purple. Are they both a bit on the wild side?

Athens, OH

Pirl-
I have both: lysimachia ciliata 'firecracker' and lysimachia clethroides 'lady jane'. Both are on the wild side!

If ever you want some, just ask but don't say you weren't warned.
ROX

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pirl - the purple would look good with some ribbon grass - I'll send it out.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Pirl I have always had the white, but this year I planted some of the purple. It looked like it was sulking this fall. I am not sure it will make it. It was from Dutch Gardens and was called Beaujolais (burgundy) But I liked what I saw of it in August. Patti

This message was edited Jan 11, 2007 4:56 PM

Athens, OH

Patti-
Beaujolais is MUCH better behaved. For me it self seeds a little but doesn't have runners tunneling around the place.
ROX

Great. That's where I saw the purple one and thought I'd ask first, regret later.

Al - sorry I moved this morning so I won't get your package and it will be returned to you post haste.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.