I want to remove gooseneck loosestrife

Bettendorf, IA

that was here when we bought this house last year. It isn't hurting anything right now but it is taking up the only sunny spot in the garden and, well, I think it is ugly and would rather have some nice sun loving perennials there. I know is is considered invasive in some places and by some people so I thought I would ask here what the best way to remove it would be. It is dead and brown so I figured I would dig it all up and send it off with the yard waste tomorrow. Is this good? Will the roots be weaker if I wait longer and do it before stuff starts coming up in spring?

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I battled that stuff for years at a previous house. It spreads far and it spreads fast....into the lawn and into the neighbors lawn. If you can get at it now, just dig and dig, making sure to get it all. For me, it was extremely hard to just dig up and pulling didn't work. The roots weren't down real far, but they sure didn't want to be removed. One tiny bit will grow back. I took to spraying Round-Up after trying to dig the stuff up for 3 years. It was, at that point, taking over a whole section of garden. I was finally getting it under control when we moved. The following summer, while visiting the neighbor, I was dumbfounded to see all the monarda gone, but the gooseneck loosestrife everywhere. With this stuff, I'd say start now and see what comes up in spring and attack any more you see. Good luck!

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

I gifted a pot of this to a neighbor that was on my "list". Joy!

Bettendorf, IA

LOL Patrick!!

When I found out what it was (we just moved here a year ago) I watched it - it doesn't seem to be too much of a thug in this area but it does take up the whole sunny part and I want some other stuff in there. It wasn't a prolific bloomer AND had tons of Japanese beetles last summer. I want pretty, showy, fragrant stuff for that location - this doesn't fit the bill.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.