Black Swedish Ivy

Lacona, NY

I hope I am posting this in the correct place -- I've never done this before. I purchased a beautiful hanging plant at a flea market this past summer. The vendor told me it was a black swedish ivy. It has medium sized leaves that have very pronounced veins. The leaves are a very dark, lush green and the underside is a burgundy color. The leaves are not smooth, they have a slight texture to them. I have the basket hanging in an east window in my classroom. It has done beautifully and this fall it blossomed. The blossoms were white, bell-shaped blossoms that developed from one spike from the center of a cluster of leaves.

My questions are: A) is this truly called a black swedish ivy?? and B) I came back to school from the Christmas break and one side of the plant (the side that faces the classroom) leaves have all turned yellow and it appears to be dying! The other side (that faces the window) is doing fine. I came in over the break and it was doing absolutely fine -- 3 days later it looked awful!! What should I do?? I have been watering it and that took a lot of the droopiness out of it. But I'm still losing leaves left and right and the lush greeness is almost gone. Any suggestions????

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Don't overwater. Don't feed. Take cuttings and root them ASAP in good potting soil. I don't know the plant but would love to see a photo if you have one. Good luck!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

hi tressie, you might try posting over in the house plant forum, too. and a picture would definitely help :-)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/houseplants/all/

gram - you DO get around!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

pirl, I try ;0)

One of us is following the other, gram! I just left you when you were talking thyme!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.