Best early season tomato for zone 5?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't like any raw tomatoes, so I'm obviously not a good judge of taste. My husband wants some early season tomatoes this year and I've heard that 'Early Girl' is bland. Are there any robust, meaty tomatoes for July harvest? Thanks, Tamara

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Tomato choices have been discussed a lot in the tomato forum and you can find a lot of info fast there. You are right, Early Girl is definitely way too bland.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Try www.tomatogrowers.com and go to "Early Season." They have many varieties but heirlooms will have the best flavor.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I remember growing a very nice tasty tomato when I lived in zone 5: Campbell 1327. I think it was an early variety but in zone 5, how early can one be?

Sylvain.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, everyone! Tamara

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Tamara..... check out MOSKVICH for an early, fairly flavorful tomato.

LarryD

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I'm in Z5 and only going into my 2nd year for seed sowing maters. This is an interesting question and if you happen to mention it in the tomato forum, let me know!!! Carolyn is Z6 and might have other questions for you on this topic to better answer your question, but you will probably get more suggestions there, since those folks are specifcally tomato oriented versus veggie gardening. Plus Farmer is not a big mater lover and Shoe is also over in maters too lol!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.