starting seeds for 07

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Last year I waited too late to start seeds for 06, and was sorry.Please let us help each other along these lines, and grow a prettier state. Thank you all. Mike

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike,

Are you talking about sowing indoors or out? I sowed a lot of my seeds late last year as well (late May) and then we had that bad drought. A lot of the seeds did pretty good though despite the hot, dry weather, but some didn't even germinate. This year I aim to start up mid April. Years ago I started a lot of seeds indoors which was satisfying watching them grow but the problem is transplanting, watering too much or too little, damping off, fungus gnats, and a host of other problems. Now I try to sow in situ and that includes containers.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Interesting!!That sounds familier:The seeds I tried inside were so thin in their stems, they just didn't look natural.I hope I learned from last year, how to grow sweet peas, they did NOTHING.I need to find a good sourse for the perennial kind of sweet peas. I had them as a child, but it seems that all thats available is the annual type.Am I imagining that the sweet peas that grew on the old fence, that came back year after year, had the sweetest smell?ANY ONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND THOSE??
Looking for a more beautiful Georgia. Mike

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike,

The perennial sweet pea is 'Lathyrus latifolius'. I had it for a while at my last house but I don't remember it being overly fragrant. I heard they can become invasive too, but never had a problem with it. If you grow the annual ones, I hear the best time to start them is in Feb. in GA. I tried that one year, but I think a hard freeze killed them. Usually it is the heat that kills them if you start them too late.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike, valueseeds.com sells alot of varieties of sweet peas that are fragrant. You may want to check out their website.
http://www.valueseeds.com/?page=5

Deborah♥

Thank you, Deborah, for that web site,(valueseeds), not only will I order sweetpeas, I found other interesting things.Thanks again. Mike

Yesterday I planted lots of early blooming annuals. Some like a good old cold snap before they germinate, so I'm not sure how they will fair without any so far...these were all directly sown in the ground:

California Poppy
regular old poppies
Batchelor Buttons
annual candytuft
german catchfly
burpleurum
dwarf calendula

... I haven't again gone through the seeds I planted and noted them all, so this is just what I do remember.

I have also winter sown the perennial seeds that need vernilization. I will plant more annuals in a month or so. I tend to sow successions of things so that when one plant is finished, something else is there to take it's place.

GGG

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Gosh, ggg that's a good idea!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Y'all, My question is : is it too early to sow seeds for spinach and other Salads?? and Do any of you plant by the Moon! I know right now the Moon is waning or reducing in size. I usually get my beds ready at this time! In about two weeks the moon will be waxing or growing and Seeds should grow better at this time! I want to put potatoes down and I m not sure when to bed them! I know how in my old zone 8, but now Im in Eatonton zone 7 and am not sure when to plant!

Is it true, that things that develope below ground, (peanuts,potatos,etc), should be planted when the moon is waning, and crops that develope on the surface, should be planted when the moon is waxing? makes sence to me. Mike

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Eufaula,

I just planted a whole slew of salad greens, aragula and spinach along with a ton of tomato seeds, peppers,cabbage, broccoli and other stuff I can't remember (and I just did it a couple of hours ago too!) I am trying wintersowing tomatoes as well ( a couple), but the rest of these I just did inside the garage workroom and I'll run them in and out daily once they sprout. I wanted to try Kale but didn't have any seeds lying around (I think it's better fall planted anyway). I've moved a tad further north, but I think my zone stayed the same, but not totally sure.

Here's a link to another thread that shows what others have going on here in Georgia.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681608/

~Sunny

I bought sweetpeas from "fragrant garden nursary", and they are the oldfasion type, supposibly prennieal, and fragrant.My problem is;I know that I am suppose to score the pea, in back of the eye, but how?? They are like BB's, I lost two, by shooting them between my fingers, to the unknown' of the vast dark brown carpet.Is there an easy way? Please help!! Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike, LOL, If I sent one sailing into my dirty carpet, it would probably germinate.
If those seeds are that small, I'd be afraid of nicking the eye. Have you tried germinating between damp paper towels? I've had daylily seeds germinate for me that way and they are much larger seeds.

Deborah♥

Hello, Deborah, LOL,Thats what I thaught, when it landed in the carpet.I have the seeds soaking in what was hot water, at the time, and, somewhere I read about H2O2 being added to warer,and it intensified the sprouting rate. Can't remember where I saw that, or on whitch fourm it was.I have two types sweet peas , lord Nelson, and butterfly, the lord Nelson is the very small seed, really like a BB, and darn near as hard. Do hope I can grow them. Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh yea, the warm water soak! I heard (or read) about that trick too, but forgot all about it. I just looked at some of my milkweed packets (not the tropical a. currassavica) and that's the advice given. Good Luck to you. I'm sure the soaking will work for you.
Post pictures when they bloom.
Deborah♥

Well, Deborah, I've just found a new use for finger nail clippers!!They work fine for scoring sweet peas, and I have them in a wet paper towel covered, and ready to sprout, and when they do,I'll shooout for JOY.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey Mike, I'm finding that this old "dawg" is learning new tricks every day!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Ooh, I'll be watching this thread because I have some sweet peas to grow this year as well. Thanks for sharing Mike!

BTW, as a humorous reference to the 'old dog' verbiage - I recently read that older dawg's learn new things easier as they aren't as distracted as those there young'un pups ;)

~Sunny

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

lol!

WHAHOO!!! the sweet peas are breaking ground, and so far I have 98% germination, (not counting the one in the rug). Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

lol! You're a hoot! Mike! Will You go them on a trellis?

Yes, and split rail fences, maybe build a trellis around the patio. Really, I needed this boost of incouragement, Things haven't been "going my way". Mike

Whoever gave me the idea of placing seed over 3 wet paper towels,and covering them with two, then place the dome on, for humidity, THANKS, and a symbolic hug. Again, Mike

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm getting ready to start my wintersowing of my 'fragrant' garden and sweet peas are definitely in that mix. I already got my veggies going in the wintersowing bunch, as well as som indoor maters, peppers and some morning glories. So fragrant and herbs are my next project, then back to veggies and flowers after that's done.

~Sunny

I've had a terrible time with sweet peas here. By the time they are ready to flower, we get a few hot days and they are wiped out. Maybe it's where I have been situating them. But it's a bummer!!

I did direct sow:
nigella (all types)
annual candytuft (both low growing and the tall hyacinthodes)
california poppies
black poppies
batchelor buttons
moldavian dragonhead
ridolfia
burpleurum
native coreopsis
larkspurs
ratibidas
ammi
standing cypress

anyone have any other suggestions of early annuals to seed now for spring bloom?

GGG

GGG, did you plant the sweet peas in the sun? I am going to try to plant where they will be protected from direct sun light all day, but I say that with a question, because this is the first time my seeds have germinated.Before I managed to kill them, before they formed cotyledons,I think due to late planting. Mike

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 11:55 AM

Yes. Hot baking sun because I was hoping to show them off!! I really wanted people to enjoy the smell of sweet peas as they walked by.

GGG

BUMP!BUMP!! OK, I was too eager.All of my sweet peas are up and they are about 8"-10" tall and trying to climb.Yes, its too early to plant??, byt I was thinking***can I prune them back, and keep them shorter, and will they begin their climb, after planting?? Feeling despert now. Mike

pinch them back a BIT, then slowly begin to let them acclimatize to the cold. You might be able to plant next week. Peas are pretty fine in cold temps!

GGG

Fort White, FL

I'm in Gainesville, FL area...not Gainesville, FL...but glad I found this site with folks who love Sweet Peas. I planted some in January that are now about 6" tall. Guess I should pinch them back now, right?? I didn't know about putting the seeds in warm water or splitting them...so I lucked out...but...what shall I do now to have success with them??
Joyce

Joyce, I had so many to germinate, that I acually planted some out side, but put a clear garbage bag there to say good night to them.When the weather gets bad, I put the bag over them, and cover the opening up with dirt, three sticks hold the bag around them, so as to keep dead air space around the plants.I know its like eating peas with a tooth pick, but they are still alive, and getting a head start on the season. Good growing, Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.