Do canterbury bells need cold dormancy to flower?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I started canterbury bells from seed last spring and had great germination, but the seedlings just sat there and did'nt grow. After I gave them a weak feeding (half strength fish fertilizer) several died suddenly (?). I had written that pot off as a failure and had started sticking pieces of coleus in the pot to root (when I broke them off while working in the area). This fall while potting up the coleus, I found there were still a few tiny campanula seedlings in there and went ahead and put them in 3" pots. So almost 9 months later I have 5 (out of the hundreds that came up!) that are about 3" tall and looking healthy. They're indoors under lights. Since they are biennial, I'm not sure how to proceed with them. They still seem too young and tender to go into the garden, so I'm considering putting them in a cold frame, perhaps in February, and plant them in the garden in April or so.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Neal

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I think that is a good idea...remember they are biennial and you would not have had any blooms last year if started from seed...actually I thought they were annuals....at any rate good luck.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Neal, this probably won't be much help to you, but I start the seeds in the spring, and keep them thru summer under the pine trees, planting them out in the fall, and they bloom the next year.

I think it might be too much of a shock for them to go out in the cold frame in Feb. Any chance you can keep them under the lights until about April, then gradually accustom them to the outdoors, over a week or so, let them sit outside for a couple of weeks in the shade, gradually accustoming them to more light, then plant out. A lot of work, but they are worth it.

I find them fussy. Sometimes they reseed for me, more often not.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Polly, that was my plan, till the little buggers decided not to grow. I can't imagine what stunted them. They are pretty tender looking, so that would probably be wise. Guess it also depends on this winter; if it stays this mild they won't even need a cold frame, lol. Doubt that will be the case, but now it sure feels like I live further south. Thanks for sharing your experience with them. I'm not giving up yet!

I grew canterbury bells once as a teenager and they were so showy and long lasting. If these will bloom I think I'll have a better chance of perpetuating them with fresh seed.

Neal

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Polly, look here!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3039511

the hellebores you sent me look like they'll bloom!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Neal,

First on the Canterbury Bells. They are beautiful, and worth persistance. A lot of people have good luck with biennials from seed. Many don't. It depends on so many factors. As I recommended for foxgloves, you can always start with starting (or buying) about 3 plants, for two years in a row, and then you should have them each year. The reason I recommend buying three plants, is that the plants will throw FRESH seeds at the PROPER planting time, pretty much ensuring your success. So if you can get 5 that do well this year, and then another 5 for next year, you should be good to go.

Yeah on the Hellebore. Now I have to run down and look at mine. That is indeed a flower bud. Early little bugger (probably due to the weather). And don't worry about the ratty looking foliage. You can cut that off in the spring, as new foliage appears. I hope it's a pretty one. I haven't seen them bloom yet. I expect the flowers to be small, but love that foliage.

Polly

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Neal, mine is getting ready to bloom also. Polly

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

what is the difference between that white beauty and the regular niger?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mind if I answer that Neal?

Helleborus x nigercors is a sterile (no seed) hybrid between Helleborus niger and Helleborus argutifolius. Supposedly the best qualities of both, with increased vigor over niger. It also has the height of the argutifolius, maybe a little shorter at 1-1.5 feet.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

thanks and where may one fine it?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Polly, I don't mind at all :)

levilyla, Plant Delights sells them, but they are rather pricy. Polly may know of other suppliers.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't know of any other, sorry. I got mine from Northwest Bulb and Perennial last year, and it does not look like they have it this year.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Neal, I germinated 300 canterbury bells last summer and in the fall put them in the ground. I suspect maybe 250 survived to plant out of all the seedlings. I checked them yesterday and they look fine. I'm hoping (if they make it to bloom) to sell them as cut flowers at the Farmer's Market.

I've never grown them before but I bought some cut several years ago. You are right, they are showy and long lasting!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh please try to post a pic when they're in bloom. What an amazing site that will be! I grew them many years ago as a teenager, and just direct sowed and ended up with a nice little group of them the next year. I've never forgotten how huge and striking those spikes of blooms were, and much prettier and fuller than the ones I worked with as cut flowers when I worked as a floral designer.

My babies are looking very good and healthy, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'll try to remember where to find this thread later on and post a photo if I get blooms.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Those little Canterbury Bells are still plugging along!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.