I'm a carrot loser!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All:

For the past 2 seasons, I have been trying to grow carrots and I have been failing. Miserably.

I generally start from seed. I put the seed in a well amended bed. I have no problem getting the seed to germinate which I hear is a common problem for newbies. My problem is after they germinate. Once I figured out the correct thinning process, one of 2 things has happened: I either get a nice top with no carrot or a so-so top with a little carrot. I have tried several varieties with the most recent one being Kuroda.

I even planted some in between my maters, figuring if the maters did well the carrots would too (Carrots Love tomatoes and all that stuff) No Luck.

I'd appreciate it if some of you old hands can help a guy out.

BB

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 5:44 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Carrots are pretty easy to grow. never had a problem. Here I can use the long imperator type and they grow nicely. Back when I had heavier soils I used the short type I do plant where they can get full sun. I do not allow them to be shaded and overpowered by large plants. Never would I plant them near tomatoes or corn for example. They do need to be thinned early in their life cycle. Iplant for summer in February-March and again in early September for a winter crop. This one is Purple Haze.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Thanks Farmerdill:

II'll keep trying.

Dayton, WA

A few seed companies offer carrot seed pelleted. I grow the imperator type in my deep, double-dug raised beds. I scatter the pelleted seed on top, then roll em around until they're all around an inch or so apart. Never have to thin them afterwards. Then, I cover the pellets with about a 1/4 inch compost/peatmoss mixture. From then on, I never let the bed dry out. Carrots also benefit from a light inclusion of wood ashes into the soil.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

They also take a long time to mature for me. I plant (direct seed) in May into raised beds, but they are not ready for harvest for me until really late summer or early fall, and some of them not until late fall. I grow in raised beds because all my real "soil" is just heavy clay and carrots don't like that. I wonder if you are picking them too soon? The tops on mine are lovely by July or so, but there is barely any carrot at that point. It takes a long time for my carrots to "fill out" the roots enough to pick.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

BB, I tried planting some of my carrots next to my tomatoes last summer and barely got any developed roots from that group. The tomatoes grew well, but they shaded the carrots too much. The carrots that received full sun were the only ones that developed a harvestable root.

Thanks everyone

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

We cover the seeds with just a sprinkling of compost, then cover everything with a lightweight board to keep things moist. Check 6-10 days later, and seedlings!

I have a question.

Do carrots grow singly or in bunches?

Can they be transplanted or should they be direct sown?

BB

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Carrots do not transplant well. Also have them at least 2 inches apart in the double wide row. They might do alright in a solid planting, but I believe they like some sunshine between the rows until the tops get large.

Thanks Indy!

What's a doublewide row?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

B-boy...a double-wide row is two rows planted closely together, (picture railroad tracks). Plant a row and then skip over about 4-6 inches and plant another. Then if you want more double-wide rows leave extra space (perhaps a foot in a raised bed) and repeat.

From the beds I've seen of yours though you could just stagger plant carrots and not use rows at all.

You might also try making home-made seed tapes for the carrot seeds. Lay out some papertowels (as long as you like but I would start with 2-3 ft long), sprinkle the carrot seed on them, giving the seed equal space apart from each other, mist them with a hand spray bottle, put another layer of paper towels on top and mist that.

Gently roll the "seed tape" up and put in a plastic bag and keep it cool. When you seed the radicles appear (that "white thingy when the seed germs) you can unroll the seed tape onto your prepared bed, gently pushing it down, and lightly covering it with light soil/potting mix/peat, etc. Keep moist. There ya go!

Shoe.

Thanks Shoe

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You're welcome. Hope you have better success this coming season!

And when you pull the carrots, I'll bring the Ranch dressing for the dip! (Or miso, kelp, and tofu for soup!)

Shoe.

Deal!

And I'll make some spicy cabbage eggrolls

BB

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm....spicy cabbage egg rolls!?

Sounds like you better post that recipe!

Shoe.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

2nd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.