species 1503

Silver Spring, MD

Anyone know anything about this species? I have a small plant that has begun to grow nicely. I've searched on the web for information but can find none. I sent a request for information to avsa and am waiting for a responce. If any of you have information I would appreciate the sharing.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

???? Where did you get it?

Here is a list of the known saintpaulia species -

Saintpaulia brevipilosa
Saintpaulia confusa
Saintpaulia difficilis
Saintpaulia diplotricha
Saintpaulia goetzeana
Saintpaulia grandifolia
Saintpaulia grotei
Saintpaulia inconspicua
Saintpaulia intermedia
Saintpaulia ionantha
Saintpaulia magungensis
Saintpaulia nitida
Saintpaulia orbicularis
Saintpaulia pendula
Saintpaulia pusilla
Saintpaulia rupicola
Saintpaulia shumensis
Saintpaulia teitensis
Saintpaulia tongwensis
Saintpaulia velutina

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think it came from our local swap.... so if it wasn't from me, and it wasn't from you, it must've been from Keyring! :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Must be

Silver Spring, MD

I got it in November from Ki. Hopefully she will respond and the mystery will be solved. Thanks for the list. I will continue to search. Here is a picture of it. Was in a solo cup until last week. I potted it up to a 4inch pot and it has just taken off with new growth.

Thumbnail by nannanavarro
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Pretty! Those leaves look soo soft....

Silver Spring, MD

They are very soft, Jill. The color is true. I love the dark veins against the light green leaf.

Silver Spring, MD

I looked more closely at the leaf pattern and it is in twos instead of threes. I'm wondering if it is a sinningia species.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

My guess yes it is not an African violet species . Most likely sinningia species. Is 4 inch pot too large ?

Silver Spring, MD

I don't know, yet, Allison. I just potted up two weeks ago. Since that time It has produced several new leaves and doubled in size. I am guessing, because it is doing so well that 4 inches is not too big. The other sinningia I have are miniature and micro mini. This one is much bigger than both of those.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nanna here is a link I fount in a search with Keyring's pictures with Species 1503 :))
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ki/136149763/

Silver Spring, MD

Thanks, Allison. Aren't they beautiful. It looks like they like to be in open containers for the extra humidity.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

They sure are pretty ! I wonder if their a seedling of Keyring's ? I know there are thousands of Species. I'm sure she will be on to let you know more about this beautiful plant !

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

good job! It is Sinn speciosa. "AC 1503" is probably a seed collection number. I grew some seedlings of AC 1503, as well as some of AC 1503 x Regina. Do you have the 1503 or the cross with Regina? In either case, it is a Sinningia speciosa, which is a "standard" size Sinningia. There are huge Sinningias, the speciosas (good houseplant size), then the micro minis. The minis are mostly crosses between the micros and these "standard" size ones.

Anyway, Sinningia speciosa in its natural form has slipper type flowers. http://www.gesneriads.ca/sinni077.htm
AC 1503 should be something like this. I haven't bloomed one, and I'm not even sure I have any left at home....

The hybridized peloric form of speciosa is what are often called Florist's Gloxinias. For eg, Charles Lawn's hybrids: http://www.gesneriads.ca/sinni189.htm

Silver Spring, MD

Hurray. I have AC 1503, Ki. As you can see, it is doing very well. Hope it blooms because the leaves are wonderful. Thanks for the links. The plants are beautiful. My fingers are crossed as well as my toes. The smaller sinningia are very lovely. Can't wait to see the standard in bloom.

Jamaica, NY

Hello plant friends---

Does anyone know where I can get plants or seeds of the awfully rare African violet Saintpaulia goetzeana? A prize of one wooden nickel will be awarded to any reliable informants. -----From Denis Cullinan

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I will keep my eyes open.It seems I read on one of the forums that it is nearly impossible to obtain.I hope I am wrong,
Lynn

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Keyring. I really enjoyed looking at the Episcias. Also the AV's appreciate he link. Luciee {;^)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.