Source for pumice or lava rock ?

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi,

I am looking for a source for pumice or lava rock in Dallas, TX to use in my containers for aeration. I am looking for particle size smaller that 1/4 inch(Lowes and HD carry lava rock that are larger). I have located a couple of bonsai stores, but found them to be expensive especially since I am looking for significant quantities. Does anybody know a source for this in Dallas or near by areas?

thanks,
xman

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Why not try Turface MVP? It's a calcined clay product, hi-fired to near ceramic physical characteristics. It holds water and nutrients well, has a high CEC, and is excellent at insuring soils remain well-aerated. I use it as a primary component of many soils - houseplants, cacti/succulents, etc., but especially in bonsai soils. Contact "Profile" here & ask for the nearest distributors:

Profile Products LLC
750 Lake Cook Rd, Suite 440
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

800-207-6457

If you need more info on the prod, see: http://www.profileproducts.com/sports_fields/product.cfm?category=1&product=trf_mvp&bhcp=1

Al

Scott, LA(Zone 8b)

Have you tried looking up http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/index.html ?

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Yes, I have tried dallasbonsai. But they are expensive if you consider the large quantity that I want. I found some black lava rocks at homedepot that were smaller than the usual they sell and seived it out to get the size that I want.

thanks,
xman

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

Try the pet store!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Tapla: I thought Turface had to be purchased in massive quantities. I corresponded with the local distributer and he left me with that impression.

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

Try the local feed store for "Dry Stall". It is used, as it's name implies, for soaking up urine in horse stalls. It is pure pumace.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Excellent -- thanks. My daughter rides, so I can even ask at her stable! It doesn't have any additives that would hurt the plants? (I assume not, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.)

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

Nothing added. It's pure pumice. Well at least we call it pumice. They call it volcanic agregate;).

This message was edited Mar 16, 2007 6:01 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.