Pumice or Lava rock source?

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi,

I am looking for a source for pumice or lava rock in Dallas, TX to use in my containers for aeration. I am looking for particle size smaller that 1/4 inch(Lowes and HD carry lava rock that are larger). I have located a couple of bonsai stores, but found them to be expensive especially since I am looking for significant quantities. Does anybody know a source for this in Dallas or near by areas?

thanks,
xman

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Why not try Turface MVP? It's a calcined clay product, hi-fired to near ceramic physical characteristics. It holds water and nutrients well, has a high CEC, and is excellent at insuring soils remain well-aerated. I use it as a primary component of many soils - houseplants, cacti/succulents, etc., but especially in bonsai soils. Contact "Profile" here & ask for the nearest distributors:

Profile Products LLC
750 Lake Cook Rd, Suite 440
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

800-207-6457

If you need more info on the prod, see: http://www.profileproducts.com/sports_fields/product.cfm?category=1&product=trf_mvp&bhcp=1

Al

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Al,

I am using turface MVP currently, but I have read in some of the forums that the pumice is lighter and better than the turface in terms of porosity.

thanks,
xman

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm also hunting in the FW/DFW area for aeration products (pumice, fir bark, and coconut husk chips) in large quantity. If you locate some let me know and I'll do the same.

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

caganimalover,

if you are looking at large quantities, expanded shale is a good bet. Living Earth company sells this in bulk.

http://www.livingearth.net/products/product_description.html?product_id=123

This is sold in bags by Trugro.

xman

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

What about a smaller size lava rock?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

FWIW - you can make your own comparisons if you can find the info on other products. As noted, Turface has excellent CEC. It has about 13 acres of surface area per pound of aggregate (that's per pound - and that's a whole lot of nutrient attachment sites) ;o). It's bulk density is very low, @ about .4-.5 g/cc and it has an internal porosity of about 45 - 50%. It's price is reasonable - I pay about $8.50 per 50 lbs.

I grow many plants in nothing but 100% Turface.

Al

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

And it would work just the same on slightly churned heavily compacted clay?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Your question would require lots of discussion & plenty of provisos. The topic at hand is aeration in container soils, so a discussion of in situ situations would be a hi-jack. Besides, I have no wish to enter the "clay fray". :o)

Turface IS clay. It's just calcined for structural durability and porosity.

Al

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh sorry. I was just interested in the pumice and lava rock 'in general' applications.
I will make a decision from my own search.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

See Chantell's 2/26/07 post on http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/695294/ for a pumice source.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I grow many plants in nothing but 100% Turface.

Tapla,
Is that stuff just good for containers? How would it help in a garden? And what types of garden plants might you be growing (if any) in 100% Turface?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Turface is used extensively in high traffic areas (sports fields, golf courses, etc.) where the combination quick drainage an good aeration are a necessity to keep turf at its best vitality. Bonsai enthusiasts (like me) discovered its reliability & benefits for use in container soils. I use it extensively in any soil I expect to support a planting for longer than a single grow season.

It would help with drainage in fine garden soils (clay-silt) by increasing the rate of percolation and lateral water flow (as long as there is somewhere for water to drain/flow to (i.e as long as you haven't created a bathtub effect by layering a dissimilar soil over a depression in clay).

I grow some succulents, AVs, and a few pines and junipers in all (or nearly all) Turface. I have a few small bonsai (snapdragon and coleus, I think) in it. Most (including me) would probably consider it to be to expensive to use as a stand-alone soil for large plantings, but there is no reason you couldn't use it. It holds water and nutrients very well and is excellent at providing aeration - everything you want in a container soil.

Two plants - one very small, :o) growing in 100% Turface.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cute! And very good, Taplasahn!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.