planting grass seed now?

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

We just had our yard torn up due to septic issues and now I'd like to take advantage of the spring rains to plant grass seed. Is it too early for it to germinate? What kind would you recommend?

Or is there someone out there with a low growing alternative that doesn't need mowing? We are all about no fertilizing, no watering alternatives.

Thanks!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Hi JB - I am laughing (not at you, at me...) because I was so relieved last week after our 4" of snow melted. I was in a group conversation & expressed my extreme delight that Winter was finally over. To which I received blank looks & a reality check: i was informed that it IS December still, & what had I been smokin?
All that to say - It's winter. You might be able to plant grass seed, but your germination rate might be spotty.
Also - if we get some heavy downpours, the seed could wash away & collect in any low spots.
The earliest I have planted grass is March, the latest - December. You will need to find out what the lowest temperature grass seed will sprout at, and then decide. Perhaps someone has had great results during the winter. Best of luck to you!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

No, it is way too early to plant grass seed. I work for a grass seed company here in the Will. valley. It is way too cold for the seed to germinate and live.
I would wait until after frost or at least March/April.
But just my 2 cents worth.
Carol

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Perfect that was the information I needed. March/April it will be.

thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.