I did it again

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Blood sugar... GRR!

Two Saturdays ago I was flying from Houston to Pittsburgh. Had a couple Christmas cookies for breakfast b/c I was at the vet's early to drop off cats & big dog w/o having breakfast. Got home, nibbled on a granola bar, and at 11, I was on the road to the airport. Stopped on the way to get gas, DBF says "ever had a peanut patty? it's a southern thing... try it!" Well, it was pure sugar & peanuts. I ate nearly 2/3 of it, and gave him the rest. Arrived at the airport around 1:30. Checked in, got the bags turned in, and we got lunch. I had most of a chopped beef bbq sandwich (not all, because it was really fatty, and gross). By 330, I hugged DBF & sent him on his way home. Went passed security, and by 4:45 we were airborne. At the layover in ATL, I started to feel sick. Headache & upset stomach. I tried to drink some hot tea & eat a ham sandwich, but no such luck. Stumbled on the second flight from ATL to PIT around 940, and I made it clear to the gate checking folks and flight attendants that I was sick & just wanted to get home. Slept most of the second flight off & on. Woke up about 20 mins before landing, and had to run to the front of the plane to throw up in the lavatory. Stumbled out of the bathroom, and asked the flight attendant for tums or pepto. No such luck. She handed me some ginger ale & crackers, neither of which helped.

Got off the plane in PIT, got to my dad & baggage claim, and had to run to the bathroom again to throw up. Dad carted my sick hiney home where I suffered upset tummy & migraine the rest of the night (from 1am until around 7, when I finally forced some coffee & felt better). Dad & I had a big breakfast (I had pancakes & sausage, he had eggs & bacon), and I didnt' have any problems.

So was it bad food, or a sugar drop? When I told DBF I had gotten sick, he said, "you know, you got the same way when you had that sugar-test" where they took fasting blood sugar, gave me the sugar syrup to drink, then tested it again & again. I think it was the hypoglycemia acting up from the sugary peanut thing, combined with not eating enough lunch b/c the bbq sandwich was so nasty. I thought about checking my BS in ATL, but my meter was packed & checked. I wont' make that mistake again. My meter now lives in my purse, and I "won't leave home without it."

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!