Expanding the Gardens!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

We want to plant a lot more next year and decided to expand the number of beds we have.

The plan was always use the land between our 2 current sets of beds. But it meant some tree removal.

Here's the area before clearing

BB

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Here's the area cleared and with 25 new beds installed.

Most beds are 4 x 16, with some being 4 x 12

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

This area is where our greenhouse will go. It will be approximately 10x22

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

This area will be for fruit. Mainly strawberries and raspberries.

I will probably plant some asparagus crowns there as well.

That pile of wood chips is all that's left of the 18 pines. Going to mulch the paths

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Here's a new bed that I relocated 2 peach trees and a fig tree to.

MrsBronx will probably put some cut flowers in here

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Here are the some of the existing beds. We added the 20 foot bed in the rear and the 12 footer in the foreground

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Beds on the left

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Beds on the right

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Orange Park, FL

Bronx,
Looks like a large project. Take a few minutes to check out the Hydroponics Discussion forum. Look for a post by JimKennard. Should be the most recent posting. You might be interested.

So all I have to do is order a compost blend and fill the beds. I turned over the existing soil and added a layer of straw. I will put the compost blend on top of it and then add the needed amendments.

Once MrsBronx releases me from my inside duties, I'll get the greenhouse framed.

Our biggest challenge after that will be to develop landscaping accents that complement the beds and that are pleasing to the eye. We will be adding lots of flowers to add colors and are toying with the idea of dotting the area with small fruit trees in pots to break up the view.

BB

Thanks BL:

One of my major concerns was watering and how to put in an automated system. I was going to put in a well this year but that will wait until 08.

I'll take a look a the thread but I'd really be interested in hearing how'd you approach setting up a watering system given my layout.

BB

Orange Park, FL

Bronx,
The auto watering is one of the most important topics covered by the JimKennard thread.

I just looked at it quickly but didn't see it addressed. Will go back and read it more carefully. I also posted there as well.

Thanks ML

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

BronxBoy, you and the Missus sure have your work cut out for you. You have already done a tremendous amount of work with more to come. Good luck with your plans and all your crops.

Thanks Rose

How'd you fare with our weekend storm?

BB

Just a lot of wind and rain and a few branches down, otherwise no problems. I had just spread a truckload of mushroom compost so I was glad to have it watered in.

Hey what is the going rate for a compost blend in your area?

I am doing some pricing and so far, it seems to be about $45 per yard here

Orange Park, FL

Bronx,
Try this. Go to www.local.com Type in what you are looking for and your zip code. They will list some area suppliers and their phone numbers and the approx distance from you to them.

I paid $25 68 for a front end loader "scoop" of the mushroom compost. It overflows my small vintage nissan pickup bed. They also offer to deliver dump truck loads, but then you have to do endless wheelbarrow and shovel work. It also needs to be mixed with some other type of soil. Plants don't like to grow in it straight up. blmlb has the idea to look for some local suppliers.

Missouri City, TX

BB, you going commercial? With all that space, you could supply a village with produce.

Great job!

Hi Bubba:

My wife and I started selling at market this year. More as something to do rather than some great business venture.

Well we caught the bug and really look forward to seeing our customers on Saturday and hearing how their week went. We also like showing them that there is life outside of the "red" supermarket potato.

We actually ran out of stuff to sell our customers and wanted to make sure it didn't happen again.

BB

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Great expansion, BB! Been watching your progress for a year or so. Sure wish I had just a bed or two at this new place. Eventually I hope to do a tailgate market too.

Hi Darius!

Thank you.

This will be the last major project we do. Once this is done, my wife wants to beautify the area and I want to put all my attention into learning this wonderful craft and raising quality crops.

The back end of our small property is completely wooded but we'd never touch it for the world. It backs up against some houses that like ours have some acreage and are not in some sub-division. So the effect is like a sprawling woods which is very meaningful to us. There are literally dozens of sub-divisions going up near us and the effect has been to send more and more wildlife into that wooded area behind our propery.

When we had the trees cut down we left up that scraggly looking cherry in the 2nd picture. (My wife has a serious rule about hardwoods-THEY DON'T EVER GET CUT.) Any way a week after we did, every afternoon the 2 hawks would perch in it, looking for prey I think. Only problem is she brought home a little rat terrier for Christmas. I'm not worried about a hawk carrying my other 2 dogs off. But him I worry about even though he is a mean little critter.

I wish the developers wouldn't clear cut everything when they develop a piece of land. Leaves absolutely no habitat for wildlife. It would be interesting to hear how DGer's have carved out their gardens while trying to preserve space for wildlife.

BB

Thanks

BB, we have 19 acres here, mostly uphill and wooded. We plan to never touch most of it although I want to push the planting area up the hill behind the house for some semi-dwarf fruit trees. I think we have maybe 3 acres for the house and gardens.

That's a perfect size.

Our property is about 2.5 acres. And there is more than enough space to garden.

Are you in the mountains?

BB

Yep. SW Virginia.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your land is beautiful and your garden will be wonderful. It makes all the difference in the world to have room to garden. I have only about 1/8 acre of garden but it is my relaxation and my pride and joy. In the area around my house, I have flowers and trees, but I find vegetable gardening the most relaxing experience I know of.

Thank you:

It's not the size but just the sheer delight of being able to put something in the ground, nurture it and have it grow. I thik it's the best stress reliever on earth. This has been an lot of work but the reward is when I come home, my dogs greet me and we all take a stroll down the hill to see how everything is doing.

BB

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

BB --- Sounds like a terrific idea and though a lot of work, it will also be a lot of fun. Wish we were closer? I'd love to join in on the fun!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

BB - great job. My wife wants to move somewhere where I can do something like that. It really looks good. Keep us posted.
Flip

Thanks Flip

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.