Flooring and heating for new GH

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I got a Rion 8x8 GH for Christmas and finally got the thing put together. We put down cedar mulch (I figured it would help keep bugs away) for the inside floor with pea gravel in the corners and on the sides. Was wondering if anyone else had done this (used mulch) or just gone with the gravel.

Also, I need to get a heater. Electric is not an option as the GH is far away from the house and I can't afford an electrician/wiring. I am leaning towards gas but unsure of the size/BTUs needed to heat the house. Is there such a thing as a solar heater for the GH? I'd feel much better if I wasn't burning fossil fuels.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'll post pics when I get them.
Thanks

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have gravel in the aisles in my houses. I can't stand walking on wet dirt in there ( there are places over the years where the dirt from the pots has spilled etc) and I periodically wash the dirt off the gravel. I would think that maybe the mulch would become like the wet dirt as it breaks down.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I would worry about the mulch harboring fungi and such. Gravel is a much better idea.

MollyD

Denver, PA

I use landscape fabric for my floor. I would have preferred some kind of tile or pavers, but didn't feel like spending that kind of money. I agree that mulch will eventually not be pleasant at all.
Heaters - somebody else will have to chime in on non-electric options. True solar heating won't work for your greenhouse because the expense and setup is crazy. It would probably involve lots of huge solar collector panels (much bigger than your greenhouse) with water filled pipes going through to catch the heat. Then there would be a storage tank to hold the hot water. Then there would be heating coils inside the greenhouse which would release the heat inside. This would all need to be controlled by pumps, thermometers, etc.
You could have a solar passive heating system which basically involves putting as much liquid water inside your greenhouse as possible. This would include 1 gallon milk jugs, 5 gallon buckets with lids, 35 or 55 gallon barrels, etc. This would help, but not provide complete heat - you would still need something else.
Best bet is to have some kind of fossil fuel heater that has a thermostat built in. In my opinion the thermostat is crucial. You may think it's not too bad to walk out there to turn on the heat, but it will get old very fast. Also, if you go away you want the greenhouse to be able to run on autopilot. I can't help with specific models because I use electric.

Stosh

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

For heaters, you might try looking through some of the other recent threads on this forum--I know there have been a couple lately talking about heaters so the info you need is probably there.

Fulton, MO

"Is there such a thing as a solar heater for the GH?"

Sure, 93 million miles away! :D

kwz7NC, what will you grow in the GH?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Groan... guess I'd better start digging up the mulch and get some pea gravel. I was afraid of that. I did notice yesterday that it could smell like a giant hamster cage in there.

stressbaby, I plan on growing eears, bananas, palms and other tropicals in the GH in winter. My plants don't do well inside the house over winter. I stink at growing seeds, but I figured I'd try to grow some herbs from seed in spring as well as attempting to grow annual seeds -possibly perennials if I can pull it off. I also want to try to propagate cuttings. I'm pretty new to all this and get lucky that I scored the GH for Christmas. --No orchids, AV's or bromeliads.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

kwz-seeds are very easy to start-when you are ready to do them-let us know and i will let you know some of the tricks of the trade. They will germ for you-promise!!
If you can go a little coarser than pea gravel, I think it will be easier to wash the soil off it.

Fulton, MO

Right, like 3/4" crushed rock.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I will look for coarser rock-won't be able to do this until the weekend when I have time. Thanks for the tip-I guess it's good that I didn't go ahead and put those extra 6 bags of mulch in. The picture of the Rion has mulch inside, so we went by that.

I have been able to grow a few seeds-vegetables, cannas, and hibiscus, along with the easiest annuals (four o' clocks, forget me nots, zinnias, torenias). My favorite annuals are ones that self seed-all these have self-sown in my yard for two years. I would like to grow other tropicals from seed but am reluctant because I have spent a lot of time and effort trying to start seeds that would not grow. I also try to garden organically and naturally as possible, and tend to think maybe that is a factor in my seed-wasting skills.

Hutto, TX

kwz7NC..............I used de-composed crushed granite for my greenhouse floor................I also used old cedar fence pickets for a boardwalk down the center of the greenhouse.......attached to cedar 2X4's buried in the ground.........I hope this helps........I just completed building the greenhouse this past weekend.............a presant for my wife (pictured)

Thumbnail by hornstrider
Fulton, MO

kwz7NC,

Sorry I did not have time to post back until now. You are growing the same kind of stuff I grow. Earlier in the week I ran your zone/GH glazing numbers through a GH heating calculator (a number are available online). For min 60F you were at around 10,000BTU.

If you decide on an "unvented" heater, just remember that you still need a source for fresh air in order for the burner to function properly and to avoid the buildup of ethylene. Follow the installation instructions carefully. Some feel strongly that unvented heaters are not a good idea in any case. Vented heaters have reduced efficiency (some of the heat is lost through the vent) compared to vent-free heaters but in my mind, they'll allow greater peace of mind.

SB

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks to all for your help.

Hornstrider, your GH is beautiful, I'm sure your wife must be very proud.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

You can get bigger pea gravel. I have the 1/2 " size over landscape fabric and its working OK. I haven't had it down long enough or repotted stuff in there to have a lot of dirt yet. The landscape place where I got mine has what they call River pebbles. They are 1/2-1 1/2" but still rounded edges. Looks like giant pea gravel.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Got some nice rock, bigger than pea gravel. Has anyone used a Buddy heater for their GH?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I realize I'm chimming in kinda late... but I used a tarp for my floor of my green house. Seems to work just fine. I keep it vented well so water doesn't stand... and I'm careful when I water.

As far as the heater goes... I'd be interested in that as well. ATM I am running an extension chord to a heater.

Donna

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

Solar heating start up will cost a lot of money. I am making my own solar panels and will convert the energy to DC and maybe some to AC. This will be used only to supplement my electricity and I am not sure how long the payback time will be and consider it more of a challenge and hobby at this point. If you want some black barrels for water, large car washes purchase soap in 55 gal plastic drums and usually sell the drums cheap or give them away. I have been using pea gravel on the floor of my 8x8 GH and like it but I am going to use mulch in the aisle that looks like redwood however is made of used tires. The reason is that I do not use GFCI breakers in my GH and this is for an additional safety measure. If you do use a propane heater, I would suggest one that you can connect to at least a 20 lb. cylinder as the 1 lb. cylinders are expensive to use.

Donna: Using an extension cord to a GH heater may or may not be OK depending on the current used by your heater and how long your extension cord is. A rule of thumb a lot of electricians use is a #10 wire for 100 ft. and #12 for 50 ft. If you know someone who as a multimeter, this will help determine if your wire is adequate. Of course the wire should be rated for oudoors, a GFCI breaker should also be considered. If you already have a GFCI breaker or if you install one, it is a good idea to test it once a month. Where I live, it was -13 this am and we have had quite a few day of sub-zero temps, (We don't talk about global warming.) I have two separate wires going to my GH and two separate heaters on thermostats in case one heater goes out. You may not have to go to this extent with the weather you have. I would suggest you talk to someone who knows electricity or ask questions here.

Fulton, MO

kwz7NC, I believe that the Buddy Heater is an unvented heater.

For interesting reading on what the "experts" say about unvented heaters, Google "university greenhouse unvented heater."

Now having said that, I will hasten to add that there are many people successfully using unvented heaters in their greenhouses. Again, you should carefully follow the installation instructions. Fresh air must be provided. A general rule of thumb is to have one square inch of outside ventilation for every 1000-2000BTU of heater capacity in a tight greenhouse. Using this rule, you would need a 2.5-3.5" round opening to provide air to the 9000BTU heater.

Also, the 20# tank will need to be kept outside the greenhouse.

Hope this is helpful. SB

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I do have a slatted vented window as well as both the upper vents have temperate controlled openers. I do feel like ventilation would be all right.

OK, so I think I've got it figured out that if I get the Buddy heater, a very conservative estimate is it would cost roughly $100 a month the heat the greenhouse, as a 20 pound tank provides heat for "up to 110 hours"-which probably means on the lowest setting. I think this would be cost-prohibitive for me.

It might not be possible for such a small greenhouse, but does anyone use a woodstove/fireplace to heat their greenhouse? It would be a pain but we have lots of wood.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

bluejackalope,

Yeah, my hubby use to work with an electrician. If it wasn't safe he wouldn't allow it. The extension chord is the heavy duty outdoor kind ... We do have GFI breakers... and I believe that socket is on that breaker. The heater is a small ceramic type heater. We use it in the camper. Works very well.

Thanks,
Donna

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

kwz-usually when the heater is on, the vents are closed-or should be because the thermostat isn't going to open them when the temps are low enough that the heater has to be on.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, tigerlily

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

kwz7NC, my first greenhouse (approx 12 X 18ft) was heated with a wood stove and did great! I loved it!
You may want to consider it if you have a good wood supplyl

As for the buddy heater costing $100/month, that would depend on you running it non-stop each day. Remember, once the sun is up there will be no heat required on your part unless it is a very very overcast day. The heat will only need to be turned on at night, and that would be determined by what plants you are growing and the temperature required.

As for unvented heaters, you can use them if you install a 2-4" pipe just below it that draws in outside air. The pipe would provide air for combustion and not burn up the oxygen that is in the g-house. (I'm sure I have a pic around here someplace for that.)

As for a 20 pound tank heating for 110 hours, I'm not too sure about that. But then again, I'm not familiar with "Buddy heaters" and the BTU output. Stressbaby can help you there. (Or if he/she already has I must've missed it further up this thread.)

Shoe.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

KWZ7NC:

I'm currently using the Big Buddy and I can't recommend it. It does heat well BUT it cost a LOT to run it. They claim 220 hours on two 20# tanks. Doesn't seem to run that long here and I've kept it set on low. The other problem is the lack of a thermostat. Unless you are home to regulate it the thing keeps running no matter how hot the sun has made your greenhouse. The small Buddies run around $70. while the Big Buddy is $149. Get a regular unvented lp heater with a thermostat. You can get one this time of year for what the Big Buddy will run you. I just did and we're in the process of installing that one this week.

MollyD

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Shoe, Did you open up a hole to vent out the woodstove? What kind? Can't help it but right now wood is seeming most appealing to me.-have tons of firewood, and more physical energy than money.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

kwz, I didn't make a vent hole for the woodstove because it was sitting next to the entrance door which wasn't exactly airtight. It was funny though, when using the wood stove it burnt just fine (I guess causing a suction/draft and pulling in outside air thru the door cracks. A couple times though I put a kerosene heater in the g-house (probably ran low on wood, can't remember) but in an hr or so it would go out...it burnt all the oxygen in there and didn't draw in any outside air, like the wood stove did.

However, it would certainly benefit you to run an intake air pipe, placing the end of it near your wood stove draft flap. Or, look at the bottom or back of your wood stove and see if there is a pop-out piece that is made for running an air line to. (Wood stoves made for mobile homes have that feature as they must pull air from outside to burn; Mobile home are usually pretty airtight.)

If you run your air pipe to the front of your wood stove draft area you can get by with pvc; it you hook it up directly to your woodstove you should use metal pipe.

Hope this helps!

Shoe.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been using a blue flame natural gas heater for a while now and I really love it and so do my plants. We bought one and mounted it on the wall. We also bought the blower accessory to go with it. That keeps the heat moving across the room. So many people have told me that these heaters are not good for my plants but I have tons of African violets that will tell them differently. I have nothing but good things to say about mine. I just wish I would have paid a little more and got a digital model instead of the one we have. But we keep a sensor with us at all times so we know if we need to turn it up or down. I have nothing but good things to say about our heater. And my DH has done something with it that allows us to call it on our phone and it will tell us the temperature on each wall at any time. So if we go away and forget to check it, we can call and find out. He also has all kinds of other sensors that he made.

Jesse

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.