what trees in 2007 ?

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

what trees for 2007? anything new ? what about new plants in general ? we thought to try
hackberry, hazelnut , possibly european beech, bur oak . Jim

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

JW, you need to stop buying trees and save your money and buy a greenhouse so you can have your very own camellia like our buddies are talking about in the other thread. For others info jimwil22 lives a grocery hop down the road in a town with an airport even. Ken

Eau Claire, WI

Any German ancestry in Rhinelander? My short list includes Pinus aristata, P. bungeana, Abies nordmanniana, Magnolia sieboldii, and Acer tegmentosum. With the dry summers we've had of late, common sense would tell me to limit my search to xeriscape plants. Keeping all of the young trees I've planted over the past few years watered is becoming problematic. I've been working in the woods (no measurable snow around here) thinning out Red Maple seedlings in preparation for planting of a few Appalachian natives in a small cove, but this is a work in progress and I'm not sure if I'll be ready to plant. If I should run across any Halesia, Liriodendron, etc. I'll no doubt snap them up. Any snow on the ground up where you guys are at?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

2007 will be year of the conifer at my yard. Hopefully I can wrangle in a couple of these:

Abies koreana, species and maybe an Aurea
Picea orientalis 'Skylands'
Picea gluaca 'Pendula'
Callitropsis nootkatensis pendula (formerly know as Chamaecyparis)
a maybe a Pinus cembra cultivar

It would be a sad year without any additional japanese maples, so maybe I'll add a:

Acer palmatum 'Omurayama'
and I still have to get my grubby little paws on Acer shirasawanums 'Aureum' and 'Autumn Moon'

I guess I'll placate Kneevin and VV and maybe get a Viburnum or two. Supposedly there are good ones out there.

Willis

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Firs, many firs--Abies borisii-regis, A. bornmuellerana, A. chinensis, A. holophylla, A. sachalinensis, A. concolor
Euptelea pleiosperma--mine died, but it should live here
Acers--like Vitifolium, Aconitifolium, Attaryi--the hardier japonicum types
Carpinus laxiflora(and pendula), C. orientalis, and C. polyneura(but not the type from Forest Farm which isnt hardy)
Fagus crenata, 'Miltonensis', 'Ansorgei'
Some Ilex decidua
Ilex opaca(various)
Fastigiate Tuliptree
Magnolia 'Edith Bogue'
Styrax hemsleyana, S. confusus, S. japonica 'Crystal'

That's a good start, and if I don't get them this year, I will get them next year, or the next year, or........

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

Over the Christmas holiday I planted an Eve's Necklace and a Mexican Buckeye, and before that I had just planted a Mexican Plum and a Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum. That ought to spruce up the back yard! :)

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Kevin, that Euptelea pleiosperma is new to me (along with most of the rest of your list). Not too much info on it on the web. Keep us informed of how it does since the description on Forest Farm sounds neat. Have you tried the shirasawanum x japonicum cross yet (can't think of the name)?

Willis

Eau Claire, WI

Hi Kevin,

I went on a Fir binge last year and the Bornmueller was one I coveted, but was not able to find. Do you have a local source for it or will you be buying mail order? Like A. concolor, it's supposed to be more tolerant of drier conditions, which is a real plus for me. I don't know if you ever get up to the Madison area, but I bought a few conifers from this little country nursery that were of decent size and reasonably priced.

http://www.yaharanursery.com/

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

My 2007 wish list is currently under a stack of bills, but I am mulling over the idea of just buying an acre or two of land and pitching a tent. If that happens, my plant budget will include:

Acer palmatum "Trompenberg"
Quercus dentata
Carpinus fargessii
Daphne caucasica
Abies concolor "Candicon"
...and about half of the offerings of the Seneca Hills Perennials catalog that came yesterday.

More catalogs to arrive soon and swell the list some more. I wonder if a good, solid, clear plastic cold frame would be more comfortable than a tent? Or, perhaps, a small greenhouse with a little stove for heat? Of course, I would no longer be able to throw stones.

Scott

Eau Claire, WI

Scott,

You need to get yourself up to Wisconsin. Cheap land, z6 climate, and a football team that won't break your heart.

Bob

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

Packer fans are like Cub fans. When I was 10 years old I was a Cub fan,
now I just hope for a miracle. Jim

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I think Zone 5 would break my heart.

Scott

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yeah, but the friendly cows and good beer would provide you plenty of solace.

And a really long winter to forget about all those fried broadleaf evergreens.

Signed,

Kewaunee Roots

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Did I not just read that all those cows, and maybe the beer drinkers (truth be told), spread out all over this abundant country contribute more to the greenhouse effect than automobiles, trucks, lawn mowers, and string trimmers? Ah well, we lost the dairy state title long ago to the left coast so that's just another thing that we can blame their way. After all that IS where our weather comes from. Ken

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Maack--I am going to try and get one last order out of Lanny at Arborvillage--he has(had?) a good assortment of Firs. I do drive by Madison several times a year--thanks for the link. That nursery looks worthy of a stop.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

More Ginkgoes for me...

'Finger'
'Fabulous Underwear'
'Majestic Butterflies'

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Willis, you mean to tell me I have to change my labels on my 3 Chamaecyariis toCallitropsis. Not any easier to spell!!!!!!!

Donna

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm working on a group of Styrax Japonica 'Emerald Meadow' , 'Emerald Pagoda'. I am thinking a Fagus that is interesting and hearty. Now that montana in my area is now a zone 5 I think I will get some bananna trees. See the new Zoning in sunset.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Chamaecyparis now Callitropsis? Why, where was the confusion? I am with Ruth not a whole lot shorter or easier to spell. kt

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Have any of you grown Acer negundo violaceum. I just thought the red to purple strands of blooms looked very interesting. Any disadvantages in growing it.

I have 2 varieties of Fraxinus, F. Americana Autumn Purple, and F. augustifolia Raywood. I am thinking of getting another species. Considering F.nigra Black Ash, and/or F. pennsylvania Cimmarron.

Steve, I am also thinking of ordering Parrotia persica pendula. Have you seen it growing.

Donna

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No Donna the only Parrotia I have seen growing are in the Seattle Arboretum. No Pendula. I like specimen trees but have used up all the space for them in my current garden area. Maybe after the canopy developes.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

A few that I've ordered so far:

Ginkgo biloba 'Majestic Butterfly'
Liriodendron tulipifera 'Ardis Dwarf'
Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'
Taxodium distichum 'Peve Yellow'
Mike

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I am with you both on the Chamaecyparis issue. Last thing I need is to learn a new name. I am pretty sure it is only Chamaecyparis nootkatensis that was changed.

Dybbuk, did you read the faux 'Dolly Parton' ginkgo description in the rare plant thread that runk posted? I thought that was one you would appreciate. Seems like they have fun with the cultivar names of real ginkgoes.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682803/

Willis

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I am with you both on the Chamaecyparis issue. I am pretty sure it is only Chamaecyparis nootkatensis that was changed

Yep, only Nootka Cypress for the time being. But it's actually a lot more complex (bet you'll all love that :-) . . .

First, whatever happens, the other Chamaecyparis species (Lawson's Cypress C. lawsoniana, Sawara Cypress C. pisifera, Hinoki Cypress C. obtusa, White Cypress C. thyoides, etc) stay in Chamaecyparis. No need to worry about them.

What Nootka Cypress is called depends on what it is most closely related to. It is not related to the other Chamaecyparis species, which is why it is now excluded from that genus. It is closer to (1) a newly discovered cypress from Vietnam, and also (2) to the New World species of Cupressus (Monterey Cypress, Arizona Cypress, etc). So, one easy way of dealing it is to treat it as Cupressus nootkatensis.

However, there is some suggestion that this whole group is actually more closely related to Juniperus, than it is to the Old World Cupressus species (Mediterranean Cypress Cupressus sempervirens, etc.). In this event, it becomes necessary to move all of this group across to the genus Callitropsis (thus, Callitropsis nootkatensis, Callitropsis macrocarpa, Callitropsis arizonica, etc.). This move has been done now by D P Little (2006) Evolution and Circumscription of the True Cypresses (Systematic Botany 31(3): 461–480). However, the conclusion is not yet absolutely certain, so retention of them all in Cupressus remains a valid option, at least unless and until further research demonstrates that Little's conclusions are correct.

Everyone confused now?!?

Resin

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Actually Resin it was a very clear explanation and the change now makes sense to me. I will however wait to hear Callitropsis pronunciation before I take a stab at it. I have been on a waiting list for a distance learning (real time) Latin class but still have a while wait. I am thinking learn Latin first, botany second. thanks kt

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Latin helps, but not always... this Callitropsis is an example. Lots of 'Latin' names are Greek, and species names often reflect where the thing is from. Callitropsis is probably 'beautiful turner' or something along those lines. Does the foliage change color, or does it refer to something else?
kallos is Greek for beauty, and tropos is Greek for a turn or change. And pronunciation is a whole 'nother' mess. There's a few different schools of pronunciation, for a language that extremely few people can speak!

From kallos: calliope, calligraphy, Callisto, and probably a bunch of plants. Oh, Callicarpa is one... beautyberry! (seed)
ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ad astra per aspera!

Trees for 2007? Hopefully one of the Rutgers Cornus, maybe 'Venus'. Quercus macrocarpa, and Hollies....

Callitropsis etymology "resembling Callitris", another genus in the family Cupressaceae (from Australia); Callitris itself meaning "beautiful three", from the leaves and cone scales being in whorls of three.

Pronunciation - not difficult, really. Just say "kally-tropsis" as it looks. Chamaecyparis ("kammeye-kype-ariss") is less obvious.

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Which I've been pronouncing wrong my whole life, even though I live on 10 Acers in Scott County.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have been pronouncing wrong also I always said kamma sip aris

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Resin

Viburnum, a tree house! Sounds like a big one, too.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I just ordered my first tree of '07. I got that Akker shirasawanum 'Aureum' that everyone is talking about. I had a nice credit from Forest Farm that took the sting out of their 5 gal price-tag with shipping. I'm too old to watch that 1 gal get big. :)

Vasilis - Greek meaning Bill, meaning basil. Go figure where the Willis comes from. I get hosed on my name's day every January 1st.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I think I'd injure myself if I tried to say Chamaecyparis like Kameye kype a-riss. I'm just going to keep on saying it wrong like the rube that I am.

Scott

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Being from NYC, I want the tree that grew in Brooklyn - the Won Tu Tree.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Claypa & Resin,
Great information that I shared with trun his response was "first Pluto, now Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, what next ???" Levilyla, I have (and hear it pronounced in my neck ) kamme sip aris...I wonder if the difference is our regional accents? Claypa lets put our heads together regarding this years hollies ..no sense in repetition. Now that I know the correct pronunciation of chamaecyparis I feel like when I first learned the correct pronunciation of clematis. Most folks now give me a second glance and a few go as far as correcting my pronunciation.....am I strong enough to fight the tides of kamme sip aris...?? kt

Tree wish list..(just two of a very long list) Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Top Point', Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Heatherbun', and any and all hollies that Claypa is not ordering, I am looking at some (risky to me southern Magnolias), etc, etc, etc. kt

Edited to correct long winded description.
Edited a second time to correct extremely long winded description

This message was edited Jan 12, 2007 8:28 PM

This message was edited Jan 12, 2007 8:33 PM

Yeah, Pluto has now been renamed 134340 . . .

In Latin, 'c' is always hard, like 'k' in English . . . ask Iulius Kaiser :-)

Resin

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Obviously, there are (were) dialects of spoken Latin. This past fall, Dr. John Page visited our local Minnesota chapter of NARGS, to give us a couple presentations on Irish and Rock gardens. He is head of linguistics at Middle England College (or University of Central England - something like that). I listened intently at his pronunciation of botanical Latin. As we also had a separate reception for him, we had opportunity to really talk with him one on one.

Among other things, I asked him about the famous phrase of a by-gone thread here: Veni Vidi Vici. He produced two pronunciations of the phrase, depending on the Latin "dialect". But just like Resin has said more than once before, botanical Latin is mainly a written language, and how it is spoken is relatively unimportant. After all, do you really want to go around saying "fuchsia" like it is meant to be?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

just had to jump in here. if I pronounce plant names correctly, my landscaper looks at me kindly, like I'm an idiot, tries very hard not to correct me, then says , OH, you mean.... I guess as long as everybody knows what you're talking about, what difference does it make?

tree wish list for 2007 (wish is the operative word here since the plant budget has already been spent on roses)

Chionanthus virginicus
Cornus kousa
Musa basjoo
Viburnum carlesii 'Compactum'
V. x 'Cayuga' or another pollinator
Gingko ~ a smallish one, possibly Chri's Dwarf

gram ~a girl~

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Kamma sip aris is how Cisco and Dan Hinkley called it when I was in Seattle so it must be pronounced that way. LOL

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Hmmmm... Trees for 2007 will be;
apple, pear, plum, cherry, nectarine, peach, apricot, pluot, pink lemon, Meyer lemon, orange, blood orange, rangpur lime, mandarin, clemetine, grapefruit, pink grapefruit, I believe I am forgetting a few...I lost count a month ago!

Christie
http://mrschristiecolla.spaces.live.com

edited; forgotten ones I have; fig, avocado, pineapple guava

This message was edited Jan 15, 2007 4:46 PM

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

It must smell divine there when all those citrus are in bloom. How do the apples and pears do there?

Willis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.