"Perennial Peas"?

Blodgett Mills, NY

Years back my grandmother had behind her house what she called "Perennial Peas". These were like the Sweet Peas that one plants annually but were of a purple shade of colors only. There are some growing up the road from me. I tried a couple of years to grow some from the seeds I took out of the pods. Is there something special that I should have done? I would like to try again. I have a bank that they would look wonderful on as well as up the side of the porch. Can anyone help me?
Thanks.
Jean

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Seems like they should grow from the seeds. I have perennial sweet peas that self sow all over the place but they are a bright pink color. Maybe the seeds didn't get fully matured before you gathered them? Or maybe they require a striation period.

DC

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Jean,
I grew some from seed a couple of years ago, but don't really remember if I did anything special. I checked the germination database and the only special directions are to chip them and soak them. Mine are kind of a fushia color and have seed pods growing, but they aren't near ripe yet. If you want to try again, keep in touch with me.
Michele

Blodgett Mills, NY

Thanks. The one thing I didn't do was to nick and soak the seeds. The ones up the road are still blooming and I look at them everytime I go by to see what they are doing. I think I will get some more seeds later and try them again.
Jean

Make sure you get ripe seeds. That means make sure the pod is brown and dry prior to picking them. Also just as a reminder, perennial sweet peas have no scent.

Blodgett Mills, NY

Thank you Jerseyguy. I don't think they were brown the last time. I will add that to my notes. I know they don't have any scent. I just like to see them growing every year. Thanks so much. I will get these flowers growing for me yet, won't I?
Jean

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.