One of Americas' Favorite Birds

Melbourne, FL

How about some pics of beautiful Cardinals?

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Male Cardinal.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Not the sharpest shot, but my hand was not quite steady enough for the zoom. This was taken this morning in my back yard.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots Gardenpom! Heres a female.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Melbourne, FL

Nice shots everyone....let's keep em' coming!

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Another male.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Really nice shsots! I love cardinals. Here's one from this summer. For the first time I put out some mealworms for the bluebirds and Mr. Cardinal came and got some to feed to his wife. (I wish I had gotten a shot of that) Here he is loading up.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here he is nicely sharing the worms with Mr. Bluebird. The jig was up when Ghengis khan the mockingbird showed up though lol!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

Thats cute! I can't wait for the Spring to see the RB Woodpeckers taking them to feed their young. Right now they don't eat them at all.

Marlton, NJ

Female

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

And closer

Thumbnail by pelletory
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's another photo of the male Northern Cardinal ....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

linthicum: Gorgeous red! Your bird shots are all so crystal clear! Do you use a tripod? or do you just have a very steady hand? I find that unless I can get near enough to not use a zoom, they're never quite as sharp, even when I us a quicker shutter speed. Any tips?
Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's some pics I took a little while ago of cardinals.

pic #1

Thumbnail by pepper23

Where did #2 go???

Ok I will try again.

pic #2

Thumbnail by pepper23
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Awesome shots, everyone! I love Cardinals too... hoping my local pair will show up soon.

pic #3

Thumbnail by pepper23

pic #4 and last one. the others are all similar so I won't post them.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Marlton, NJ

Wow Pepper I don't think I've ever seen 3 male Cardinals at one time in my own yard. Nice pics!

Oh that's nothing here! We can have 10- 20+ cardinals here at once plus all the other birds and squirrels.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

pelletory: That's pretty unusual for us, too. We rarely, if ever, have seen more than 3 at a time. Oddly, sometimes there will be three of 4 females, but just one male.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

DebinSC, I do not use a tripod or monopod. I should, perhaps, but would miss many of the opportunities presented to me. I have a digital SLR so I can take a burst of photos in a row. If the opportunity is there, I often hold down the shutter release button for about three photos. Generally, if you move, you most likely will move when you push the button the first time. One out of three is okay with me.

Edited grammatical error .....

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 4:55 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, Linthicum, you've inspired me to just try harder!! I'll try the burst setting. Thanks.
Deb

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I like that idea too Linthicum. I'll have to try that one. Here is a very chilly male from this past April. We always seem to have a late season snow storm here in NE Tn. in April just when the daylilies start appearing. Pelletory, I love your pics. You can see just about every feather on that female's tail!! Keep those pictures coming everyone!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Now that is a really pretty guy Lilyfan!

Hebron, KY

Here's a photo that DH got March 2005. A male red Cardinal, a male Rufus Towhee, a female brown Cardinal, 2 Chipping Sparrows, 2White Throated Sparrows and a Song Sparrow eating.

Great photos everyone!

The street we live on in Hebron is Cardinal Way. Great name for a street!

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pic Marilyn!

Heres a shot (not very good) of the Cardinal on the feeder and the RB Woodpecker waiting his turn.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

What a great photo. I just love towhees. I get them every year in the spring and then they leave and go somewhere else to raise their babies. I get them beck again briefly in the fall and then I guess they leave in the winter. It took me about 5 seconds to see the sparrows in the photo. They are like that in the yard too I think. Sometimes I'll look out and think, "oh just a few doves are here". Then I'll notice that there is movement on the ground in the brush and realize that the ground is teeming with sparrows and the like!

edited for gawd awful spelling!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 6:23 AM

Marlton, NJ

Soory, forgot the pic

Thumbnail by pelletory
Hebron, KY

The evening of October 22 was a chilly and cloudy day. I got this photo of a red Cardinal eating seeds.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Great photo Pelletory!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Sigh . . . I have to enjoy the cardinals vicariously - how I wish we got them here!!!

Sensational photos, everyone!!

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Hi gardenpom,
Like Murmur Said, Sensational photos.
Keep them coming. Kell

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

This male is a regular on my feeder.

Thumbnail by trois
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pic Trois!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, pelletory.

Melbourne, FL

The detail on that last shot is amazing!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks. Camera on tripod 6 feet from bird, fill flash.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

trois
That explains it all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.