Need suggestions for attracting birds to my yard ....

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I am brand new to bird watching. (And I only started gardening 2 years ago.) My New Year's Resolution is to learn more about my feathered friends and make my yard more inviting for them to come visit.

I am looking at all the great photos here on our NEW Bird Watching forum. I see all kinds of feeders and methods to feeding our flying friends.

I would love to hear about feeders or methods of feeding the birds that work for YOU.

I got a pressure perch feeder for Christmas that I haven't hung up yet. But I also see feeders on the ground and different hanging bird bricks in the photos posted here. In fact, I got a star shaped seed brick from my boss as a gift. But am clueless as to what is the best way to hang or mount feeders. And what else I can do to attract them. I do have 2 small above ground container ponds in my back yard too.

I would love to hear your suggestions! Thanks so very much!

Marlton, NJ

My first question is do you have many squirrels where you live?

I just recently bought a pole with a baffle that has worked well to keep the squirrels from eating all the food.

I also have a Squirrel Buster Plus feeder that all the birds enjoy and it holds a lot of food. Its weight restricted so the squirrels can't eat from it.

Be sure to get a good quality bird food. Mine have black oil sunflower seeds, safflower, peanuts and even some fruit pieces. I mix peanut halves into the food.

I'll send some photos later, I have to go out right now.

Melbourne, FL

Becky, this is the type of feeder I like, and the birds seem to like a lot. The bottom is screen, so water drains away. Here it is with a Cardinal and female Painted Bunting eating side by side. I have had to throw away so many feeders (another this morning) because water gets in and the seed goes bad. If you get an enclosed feeder, make sure it has a large overhanging roof. Properly made feeders are hard to find and usually expensive. I found this at Lowes.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Pell - There are a lot of squirrels here. (I even have a squirrel feeder - that also is NOT up outside yet either.)

I have a Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Feeder.
(See weblink: http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=HF-7511)

That's all I have so far. Nothing is hung yet because I don't know where would be the best location to place one or both of these creature feeders.

I'd love to hear some suggestions. :-)

gardenpom - I never thought about the humidity or rain getting into the seed feeders. I may check Lowes out myself for one like yours. Thanks for the heads up on the water dilemma from rain here in Florida.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Put it where you can see it from inside the house, or where you spend a lot of time. You do want to see the birds use it. I don't think it'll take them long to find it, whereever you put it.

Marlton, NJ

As long as you have a feeder that woodpeckers can cling to or hang from you should be set.
All types of birds love these large seed bricks but the squirrels did to and thats why I had to go get the shepheards hook with the baffle. I'll try and find a pic.

Thumbnail by pelletory

Thanks, yes, I do want to be able to watch the birds eat. :-)

Another concern I have is how to keep any dropped seeds from sprouting in my yard or gardens. Any suggestions for that, too?

Is it better to hang the feeders or mount to a post or fence?

Aubrey, TX

We buy the hulled sunflower seeds at Lowes. There is NO mess of hulls to cleanup and No waste. Nothing ends up on the ground to sprout. They seem a bit expensive at first but I think no mess is a bargian! I put orange halfs on our trees for the woodpeckers and sapsuckers. Suet for the woodpeckers,thistle for the finches and chicken scratch on the ground for the doves. That is all we use and people are always amazed at the number and variety of birds we have.

Aubrey, TX

I have some of each. I have the hanging screen bottom on ethat is shown above and like it. But it seems like some birds dont like it, maybe because it moves. They all seem to like the tree mounted ones. The finches dont care. The thistle feeder can be swinging in the wind and they just hang on and eat!

I don't have many trees in my yard. Would it work to attach a feeder to a wooden post?

Citra, FL

FOOD ---FOOD--FOOD--FOOD!!!! I have feeders all over my property and when I go outside in the morning it feels like Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". They are very smart, they know exactly who feeds them and they will stay until its done. I keep my feeders full, and try and separate different feed in different feeders. The finch food in one, for the chipping sparrows, sunflower feeders for the cardinals, goldfinches love the thistle seed, I have several tubes of them. I also have a meelie worm feeder for the blues, and several warblers, the odd wren. I have several feeders right outside the window where my computer is, including a hummingbird feeder. I have one lonely hummingbird visiting right now, Im pretty sure its a rufous. And I saw 2 very odd looking birds near the bird bath (also outside my computer window). Had to grab my Sibley to ID, seems they were female rose breasted grosbeaks. Very new to me.

The noise of the birds in the morning is wonderful.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

If you ever want to give your birds a treat, give them popped popcorn or you can also give them bread. Any kind of bread. I gave them pumpkin bread with a little bit of applesauce mixed in after Thanksgiving and they went nuts! All gone within an hour. For seed everything they mentioned works.

Citra, FL

I just went outside and took some picture of my various feeders and where they are to give you some idea of what you can do. Nothing is set in stone, birds are very adaptable and will go anywhere if theres a free meal involved. Sorta like me.....

The first picture or two is my mealworm feeder which I got for the bluebirds. I have to keep the lid open because the blues have gotten so FAT that they dont FIT THRU THE HOLES. The warblers, wrens, and goldfinches do just fine. The terrorist mockingbird stays around the front of the house with his own personal feeder.

Thumbnail by halo
Citra, FL

Another of the mealie feeder...

Thumbnail by halo
Citra, FL

This one holds a feeder filled with finch food and a tube with thistle, which the goldfinches adore. It was full of finches when I just walked up to it.

Thumbnail by halo
Citra, FL

This feeder is hung under my front porch, right outside the window where my computer is. There is also a hummingbird feeder, another mealie feeder for the mockingbird, and another feeder with only sunflowers for the cardinals. This one is the closest one...

Thumbnail by halo
Citra, FL

And this is the view out my back kitchen window, with 2 feeders there....one has finch feed, one has sunflowers.

Thumbnail by halo

WOW! Love your feeders and view halo!

Got another question.....

What is a baffle system for a feeder?

Marlton, NJ

Heres one, sorry the photos not too good. You can see the baffle has nothing for the squirrels to grab onto. Works great!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 4:22 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

In looking at the baffle picture, I wonder if one could be made using a length of PVC pipe? You could drill a hole in a cap attached to a piece of large pipe and afix a fasterner to the pole to keep it from sliding down. Think it would work?

Marlton, NJ

Yes or a ring with screws to tighten which is how this is sitting still plus being on a tiny ring ledge. Its certainly worth a try.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Another idea to reduce squirrel raids is to use safflower seed in lieu of black oil seed. While black oil is widely known as the most attractive seed to the largest variety of birds, most of the choice birds around here will just as likely eat safflower as black oil once they become accustomed to it, and the bonus is that the house sparrows, grackles, and starlings as well as squirrels are not partial to the safflower seed taste.

Once you have figured out what birds you want at (or will come to) your feeder, it is easy and often cheaper to create your own mix for each feeder. Just buy the different seeds each species likes at the feed store and combine according to the birds you want at each kind of feeder--that way you won't provide unwanted kinds of seed that goes to waste (and sprouts) in your garden and presumably you won't be unknowingly setting out seed for unwanted birds (like perhaps starlings.)

Wild Bird Center has an easy to read chart for different birds.

http://www.wildbird.com/www_files/eastbirdfeedprefsignfinal.jpg

By the way, I think it's interesting that the same species of birds prefer different seeds in different part of the country. (i.e., In the west some birds prefer red millet over white millet, which is more popular in the rest of the country-).

And don't forget to plant some nice berry bushes and trees in your garden--I am not sure what is popular in FL, but here holly and serviceberry are nice to have. Also dogwoods for the birds. And of course, a water feature is always popular--even a clay flower pot saucer on the ground filled with fresh water.

We are having lots of fun feeding the birds and fine tuning our 'set-up' and I hope you will too! Happy New Year! t.

All of you have been very helpful to me in determining what kind of feeders, baffle systems, poles, etc. as well as location to add some bird feeders around my yard.

I have just two more question ....

What kind of seed MIX do you find attracts the most birds and what is your average cost per feeder per month? I ask this because it will help me to determine what I can afford to spend each month and how many feeders I should consider for my yard.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 11:50 AM

Thanks Tabasco for that helpful chart (weblink). There are certain birds I see year round here and I had no idea what they might like to eat. Very helpful! TY.

Marlton, NJ

Becky you are right the good ones are expensive! Thats why I waited to ask the Hubby for it as a Christmas present.
Definitely try to make a homemade one first. I was dumb in the beginning trying to find cheap feeders that said they were squirrel proof and the darn buggers would just break them in no time at all.
Be sure to keep us posted (with photos) on what you wind up doing.

Marlton, NJ

I've never tried this brand but this looks like a good one. This site advertises discount bird food. Has anyone tried them?
http://www.rachelsrobin.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-7259-e5c2cbbd742fbbe33e133a56f60bed3b&ps_session=5637676e6a81c934fe43a1dc430296af#longdesc

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

I buy all my birdseed from the Wild Bird Center.
I buy the Woodpecker mix, suet & seed blocks there as well.
My primary seed is the Balcony Mix. It's got a nice variety that the birds love (not like the cheapo supermarket bags)
There are no shells so there's little (if any) mess on the ground.
I also get bags of whole peanuts & those compressed corn thingys for the squirrels.

Nancy

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Becky the sound of running or dripping water attracts migrating birds more than anything. They need water more than food when they first hit land.

Citra, FL

Walmart is very cheap; I stock up there. You have to watch the finch mixes; some of them have a large percentage of some red seed that my birds wont touch. Its a waste. I like to buy bags of individuals seeds....millet, black oil sunflower seeds, thistle. I sometimes put cracked corn out on the ground. Tried safflower seeds one time; no one would eat them. I sometimes get sunflower chips just for something different. Sometimes birds will eat the chips when they wont eat the regular sunflower seeds.

I did some goggling and found out that the No Waste blend of bird seed consists of non-sprouting seeds containing sunflower chips, peanut pieces, and hulled white prosco millet. Now I just need to find a place that sells it! lol

gabagoo - I wish there was a Wild Bird Center near me. I like their selection of items. Prices, I don't know about because I've never purchased or compared.

Donna - Yes, I figured that out about the running water. I was out in the yard today and the pond at the back of the fence has not had any birds visiting it, the one in the middle of my yard had some visitors, and the small waterfall pond right next to my screened porch had bird droppings all over the place! So you are right ..... they like circulating water. (Probably cleaner water.)

What would be a reason price to pay for something like the No Waste blend of seeds for say a 20 lb. bag?

halo - My local Walmart has a very limited selection of bird seed. I wasn't impressed. It honestly didn't have many of the seeds that most birds like in it. And I could imagine sprouts all over my yard from those bags of seed.

Marlton, NJ

D mail Gardenpom, I thought she bought it at Pet Smart but not positive.

Thanks, Pell. I check online at PetSmart. And dmail Gardenpom. :-D

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Becky - I see there are only 2 Wild Bird Centers in FL (Jacksonville & Sarasota) thanks to Google, I see that Sebastian is no where near either. :o(

Their food is on the pricey side, but the birds love it. The store I go to keeps a running total of my purchases. After 9 bags of any particular type, the 10th is free. That applies to the balcony mix, niger, woodpecker mis, whole peanuts, etc.
Luckily, Mom gave me a nice gift certificate for my local WBC. LOL!

I sometimes get a bags of safflower and shelled sunflower (I hate all those shells all over the place).
Most birds like sunflower seeds.

I get whole peanuts to keep the squirrels happy. The Blue Jays love them as well.

I'd rather pay a little more and get something the birds will actually eat.
The problem with the supermarket bags is that they contain a lot of "fillers". They add weight to the bag & make you think you're getting a lot of seed when in reality you are not getting a lot of what the birds will actually eat.
If you want to attract a variety of birds to your feeders, stay away from bargain mixes that contain oats, cereals or "mixed grains." Most wild birds don't like these ingredients, and mixed grains are likely the aforementioned "filler." That's the stuff that ends up in a pile under your bird feeder.
Birds often sweep their bills through seed and dump the ones they don't want on to the ground. Even ground-feeding birds might ignore the spilled seed.

Check this out for info on different types of food for different types of birds:

http://www.wildbird.com/content/birdfoods

That might help you determine what would attract the birds found in your area.

I sometimes make little peanutbutter balls. I use (unsalted) crunchy peanut butter & mix in some seed and sometimes a little bread or crushed crackers (again, unsalted). I form them into balls about 3/4" across & toss them into the yard & add a couple on a platform feeder.
The squirrels like them & the peanut butter keeps them busy. They'll actually eat the balls instead of grabbing something (like the whole peanuts), burying them in my pots and going back for more. I once watched one greedy little guy run back & forth burying peanuts. In less than 5 minutes he buried about 20 of them. The problem is, they don't remember where they have hidden them! In the spring, I'm always uncovering whole peanuts when I start planting.
That's also how oak trees can pop up all over the place. All those acorns being buried & forgotten.

Anyway (back to birds) - You might want to check this site for bird profiles:

http://www.wildbird.com/content/birdprofiles

It tells you about different birds - what they look like, where they live and what they eat.

Another good site is -

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/index.html

They have a lot of info on attracting birds.

There's also a neat Feeder Cam at the Cornell University Lab of Ornithology.
There you can watch the birds at different types of feeders - suet, platform, niger, sunflower, etc.

I have 2 poles in my yard. I usually have the balcony mix in one feeder, woodpecker mix or a seed block in another, a platform feeder & 2 - 3 suet cakes hanging.

For water, I have a bird bath that plugs in to keep it from freezing.

There's a tree in the yard next door that overhangs my fence & a tree on the other side of the fence on the opposite side of the yard, so there is a place for the birds to perch.

Sorry for the long post but I love being able to introduce a new person to the joys of watching our feathered (and furry) friends enjoying my little yard as much as I do.

Happy Birding!

Nancy

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Becky I get the no waste seed at Lowes. It is National Goegraphic brand. They have 3 kinds I use. Some has the finch seed, nuts and cracked corn I use for the chickadees, wrens,cardinals, and titmice, then just plain finch seed blend mostly white for the Goldfinches, White-throated, Swamp, and Chipping Sparrows, and the one with finch seed small white & red, thistle, and something else they all like. Think they are 7.5 lb bags under 8 dollars a bag. I put out cracked corn on the ground away from the feeders as well. Most of the doves come to that as well as coons, squirells, and rabbits
Cardinals & Grosbeaks love Safflower seed . I put a little hulled sunflower seed out on platform, probably a couple of tablespoons. If you put out a bunch or in a feeder you attract Red-winged BlackBird, the squirrels, coons, opossums won't leave your feeders alone so just put out a little in several places everyday. I put the cheaper wildbird seed on the ground away from my feeders for them. A redwinged Black bird will empty your feeder(rake out all the seed) in a day just to get the sunflower seed so don't put them in a feeder

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

We buy our bird seed at a Feed Store--safflower, black oil, nyger (thystle), shelled peanuts, white millet. So much cheaper and efficient than HD, PetSmart and Wild Bird Center, etc. Then we make up seed combinations for each feeder.

I agree with DonnaB on bird feeding--we are careful about what we put out where so that we don't attract so many of the piggish birds and the squirrels who will take over the stations.

Safflower was the answer for us on reducing squirrel problems--we introduced it by starting with half saff and half black oil in the hopper feeders and gradually reduced the black oil to almost nothing.

We are very careful about the white millet since the starlings and doves seem to be crazy for it. I generally just put some near the hedges where we have some interesting sparrow varieties lurking to lure them out. Otherwise we get too many undesirables (like HOSPs) around the feeders.

We put out plain ground suet mixed with a little peanut butter in winter for the woodpeckers. The pileateds seem to like it. We had three here at one time on Saturday, which was a first for us.

Marlton, NJ

Three Pileateds?? You are so lucky tabasco!

I agree about the seeds 100% except I'm trying to switch to sunflower kernels except for a tiny bit of BOSS. They make such a mess on the lawn. Still have about 12 lbs of boss to go through yet. Its really a long learning process (at least it has been for me) concerning seed mixes and feeders. I've been lucky to find experienced internet friends and a very good informative wild bird store close by.

Peoria, IL

I get the "no-waste" seed in bulk from a local farm supplier. If you have a farm seed & supply store nearby, usually they are called "Name of Town" Feed. We have several in our area. I find their prices to be usually cheaper than the bird or pet stores.

If you look on the yahoo yellow pages for your location go to category: Business to Business>Food & Agriculture>Supplies you should find feed and seed stores that probably carry "no waste" seed.

you can change the location of the following link and see if you have any luck.

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?&&city=New+York&state=NY&uzip=10007&country=us&msa=5600&cs=4&ed=lJt4lK1o2Ty2L84EwYIL9s.EdfJDCVIxzAKB8NbvFtcN&stp=y&stx=24269376

Peoria, IL

As far as attracting birds in general, besides bird feeders - if you provide shelter (shrubs, trees, pines) and fresh water (bird bath, water fountain, small landscape water feature), gravel for minerals and food plantings in your landscape you will increase the amount of birds that visit your yard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.