CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Last fall a blustery storm blew up really fast and left just as fast. In its wake, the front yard was full of the largest variety of birds I have ever seen in one place. They were all very agitated and flying around like crazy. They were also calling out to each other. After watching for a while I realized that they were chasing and eating small flying insects that were almost invisible. Anyway, this is one of the birds that I couldn't identify. At first I thought it was a goldfinch in winter garb but it was larger than a finch and when I compared it to goldfinches that were also flying around the coloring was different. Any ideas? These photos were taken through my living room window so they aren't very sharp.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is another view.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

One last look. I wish these were clearer!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Melbourne, FL

Looks like a female Painted Bunting.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Another shot of some females with a male.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh wow! I would never have thought of that gardenpom because we don't generally seen them around here. I think they are more prevalent in the Carolinas near the coast. BUT... about 10 years ago I was totally stunned but a pair of males that flew right by my head from out of nowhere. They were too busy fighting and arguing with each other to have noticed me kneeling in the garden. It took me a good five minutes to catch my breath though as they were so bright and beautiful they didn't seem real. I got up and tried to find them in the backyard where they flew into a tree. By the time I got there they were gone. So maybe this was a female!!! Especially since it was here on the tail of a large storm during migration season. You are so lucky to see them at your feeders!

Melbourne, FL

The males are very nervous birds, and there seem to always be more females than males. These have spent the last two winters here feeding in my backyard.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Gardenpom, I had no idea there was such a difference in the male and female coloring - we don't get them here at all, sadly (Pacific Northwest).

Melbourne, FL

The is a male Painted Bunting with what I believe is a female Indigo Bunting. I saw a male Indigo a few times last year, and the Buntings are known to travel together.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Gee, I could look at these gorgeous pics all day long lol. I know we get the Indigo Buntings because a co-worker of mine gets them all the time. I have never seen one at my house though. She is more isolated and woodsy than I am. Its one of the birds I hope to see someday!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Female or juvenile Scarlet Tanager!

Resin

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

lilyfantn: I had never seen a painted bunting until last summer. A male came to our feeder. I got one blurry photo and he was gone, but you'd have thought I had one the lottery, I was so happy. :)

I also had no idea what the female looks like. Otherwise, I'd have ID'd your bird as what Fielding's describes as 'confusing fall warblers'. :))

Deb

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Resin, I have the feeling we will all be relying on your extensive knowledge!!!

Melbourne, FL

So many of these females look alike......I checked on these, and I saw a female Summer Tanager that looked even more like it. I have got to get a good bird identification book. Any suggestions from people who have one on which is best?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Summer Tanager would have an even heavier bill, and doesn't have the white tips on the primaries and secondaries (see 3rd pic)

Resin

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

female scarlet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.