CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird?

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

This bird was stunned after hitting my dining room window. Luckily it flew off after about 15 minutes. I took the opportunity to get some close shots. I'm thinking it is some kind of thrush? Once I started looking at pictures I realized there were so many that look similar that I couldn't be positive.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is another view of it.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

Thats a nice pic Susan! I'm not familiar with thrush if thats what it is. If we don't get it positive ID'd here I'll D mail you.

Marlton, NJ

My first thought was a juvenile Carolina Wren but we'll see what others think.

Melbourne, FL

My first impulse was a type of wren....it sure is cute!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

lilyfantn ..

Can you give some info .. relative to its size, for general scale comparison (ex: Titmouse/ChikAdee or Robin-sized) -?-

I'm with you .. looks to be some species of Thrush (Catharus):

There are several, that migrate thru TN. Perhaps the Swainson's Thrush, if a larger bird - and the Hermit Thrush which appears to Winter in the area.

If smaller - may could be in the Warbler family, for there's a few species that have the dotty/spotty breast areas.

* Happy New Year, to ya .. also!

- Magpye

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for your help everyone. I don't think it is a Carolina Wren because they have such long bills and they have that distinctive white stripe that goes from their eye along the side of their heads.

Magpye, thanks for your help. If I can remember, it was smaller than a robin but larger than a goldfinch. I first thought Hermit Thrush and when I looked it up I noticed all those others too lol!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm gonna haveto move my bookshelf closer to the 'puter for these ID threads!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hermit Thrush - note the fairly bold breast spotting, and the slightly rufous tone to the primaries and primary coverts. Swainson's is greyer-toned above with less contrast in the primaries, and less prominent breast spots (and would be in South America now, anyway!)

Resin

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It really doesn't look like a Carolina Wren to me. Could be wrong, but we have alot of 'em and they are a rustier brown and have a more yellow-buff underside.
Deb

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

pretty sure you have a Veery. Great pics

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, you guys are good! I looked up Hermit and Swainson's thrush and thought it was both lol. Then I looked at some Veery pics and decided it was that too. I'm hopeless ha ha. Here is another photo that shows more of its back.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

lilyfantn ..

In consideration of that last pic you've provided - check on the Gray-cheeked Thrush (Catharus minimus)

- Magpye

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm still for Hermit - not least because that's the only one you'll find in TN at this time of year, all the other Catharus thrushes are in South America at the moment.

Resin

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

The Hermit Thrush. They winter over in Tennessee ..

> http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7590id.html .. and the attached (below)

- Magpye

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Actually, I took this photo in late summer/early fall. It was during the start of migration. I'm lucky because I live not too far from a creek and I think I am near one of the migration paths. I usually see one or two varieties in the late fall and early spring that I can't identify. Also the creek and farmland nearby are a great habitat for things like bobwhite that I hear but never see up in my 'hood.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. LOL ..
Now, ya give us the vital info! ..
( .. am merely luvinly teasin' ya .. )

Definitely puts the Bicknell's Thrush, in the running now also > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7571id.html

The Gray-cheeked Thrush > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7570id.html

Swainson's Thrush > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7580id.html

The Wood Thrush > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7550id.html

And the Veery > http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7560id.html

- Magpye

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Magpye--what book are you scanning/using for reference?

It seems very good with different views and range maps all on the same page...

I am still trying to learn these danged little grey/brown birds! Thanks. t.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Howdy Judy!! They're my Christmas gifts from Christmas '05, to 'myself' .. (hee)

Point us in the direction of (your) lil grey/brown birds .. and let us have another 'crack' at 'em - will ya!?!

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate all the help you have given me. I am sorry I didn't mention that these pics were taken a while ago (color me embarrassed lol!) Pelletory has been encouraging me to join one of her discovered bird forums all summer. I got so busy with growing and photographing daylilies that I never got to it till just after the holidays. I have been saving my 2 id puzzles till I got on board. Then just when that time came... BINGO! A Dave's bird forum! What better time lol!

I have to say that I am not sure which thrush this could be for sure but I am ruling out the hermit thrush because they mention pink legs. But I am thinking thrush as opposed to warbler now. Again, thank you thank you thank you! Isn't birding fun? Its pretty hard when you just know a little though lol.

I echo your appreciation of the Sibley bird guides Magpye. I love them because they offer so many views of the bird in question. I like having many to look in and compare though. I also love just doing a google search too.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh, I agree, lilyfantn .. for the Sibley Guides aren't the only resource/s that I use either.

But, they have been valuable (& tangible) portable items, that I can easily pack & tote with me. And they usually get me started in the right direction, to check further ... (hee)

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

Marlton, NJ

That is a nice book with all the views. I'll have to put that on the wish list.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Good job Mags, I knew ya could do it...
Sweet lil Hermit Thrush lilyfan :>

hehe

Hebron, KY

Great pics Lilyfantn!

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful bird!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Your bird is adorable ! Thanks for sharing.
Happy new Year !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.