This place is for the birds!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Just had to get the first pic in here. Thanks again Dave, and a Happy Birding New Year to all.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

BB - What kind of birds are those, do you know? I see some that look very similiar in my yard year round.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Those are Grackles, and we have lots of them, as you can see. I hear they are quite intelligent. They come in flocks, and then I have to go outside and replace the birdseed so the other birds can eat also.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

And what agreat first picture it is! My guess is this is a winter flock of grackles and cowbirds grazing on your lawn?

Marlton, NJ

I see some Red Winged Blackbirds too.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yep, but they only eat what is on the lawn. For some reason they never bother the hanging bird feeder.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Pell, yes I forgot about those. They all hang together. In fact, in the summer the red winged, grackles and yellow headed blackbirds all hang out together.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

in MD we often have groups of cowbirds, grackles and RW blackbirds together on the lawn. I can't imagine what they're finding there that keeps them so busy. I hope it's all bad bugs and weeds seeds.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I had a hard time keeping them off my lawn when we planted our winter rye. Before that they were busy here also, I was thinking bugs or insects.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Lovely pic betterbloom!

The grackles look big. I wonder if the other birds live in tandem with them for protection, they don't seem to mind others being with them. Isn't it marvellous how one species in nature will often look after another, often it's a two way street.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Wallaby, out here the grackles will mingle with anyone. They are very peaceful and happy just to be feed.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Great pic. Here most of the Brownheaded Cowbirds are raised by Red Winged Blackbirds.

This Yellow Rump thinks it's Thanksgiving.

Thumbnail by trois
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Bet he does Trois! I read up on the Cowbirds when I first saw a pair of Cardinals in my yard with this huge imature Cowbird baby squaking and following them around. It was all they could do to keep him fed.
You need to post a thread on your hand-feeding of your Bluejays!!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

That look on his face is adorable !

The Cowbird sounds like our Common Cuckoo, they are usually heard on the 1st of May, but lately they are getting here earlier, this year they were 3 weeks early. They of course make the familiar 'cuckoo' sound!

They take over other nests, and the 'parent' bird is a small one with a huge baby! Look at this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Cuckoo

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Wallaby: I sure wouldn't mind having a few of those around here. Much prettier than the grackles.

I think you have more colourful birds than we do in general, the birds here are pretty good at singing though!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

My colorful birds come in spring. I didn't have a digital last year so I will be sure to get lots of pics this year.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

trois: the shots you get with your "bird cam" are amazing! What a face on him! :)

Can I just say how happy I am that Dave started this forum. All the photos have cheered me tremendously. I was feelin' low because in the past two days, I've witnessed two of "our" Muscovy ducks being killed in separate incidents (Red Tailed Hawk and Golden Retriever) and it was so sad.

Seeing all the birds in the different threads is a real pick-me-up!
Deb

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

That is really sad, Debin. But this truly is a happy place to go when you're down.

Marlton, NJ

Love that pic trois !

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you pelletory.

Hebron, KY

Trois,

Love that pic on your feeder! Adorable little bird!

DebinSC,

Quoting:
Can I just say how happy I am that Dave started this forum. All the photos have cheered me tremendously.

DITTO!

Marilyn

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Marilyn!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Mix of Great-tailed Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds - I can't see any definite cowbirds in there

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Better, Do you have any photos of the Yellow Headed Blackbirds?

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Nope, I didn't have a digital last year. They will be back again in Spring or Summer and will get plenty then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.